is there yeast in krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnsen

Reaction score
Ok...I made a 2 liter starter for my black ipa...white labs california ale...unfortunately , my flask is 2 liters....so needless to say I had a lot of krausen foaming out of my flask all over my stir plate....when i pitched today..after a night in the fridge, decanted...it dident seem to have a lot of yeast settled in bottom...did I loose a lot of yeast in my krausen?...are yeast top feeders?....or should i relax, dont worry, and buy a bigger flask......Tom

Ok...I made a 2 liter starter for my black ipa...white labs california ale...unfortunately , my flask is 2 liters....so needless to say I had a lot of krausen foaming out of my flask all over my stir plate....when i pitched today..after a night in the fridge, decanted...it dident seem to have a lot of yeast settled in bottom...did I loose a lot of yeast in my krausen?...are yeast top feeders?....or should i relax, dont worry, and buy a bigger flask......Tom

Yes, but you'll be fine. I always have a blow out with my starters. Did you do a full 2L? You should have about 1/4 on the bottom.

thankx for the link there dynachrome...I am pitching into 5.5 gallons of black IPA 1.072 og....I used mrmalty and came up with the same numbers....my concern was that I lost a lot of yeast out of my flask. thru the krausen...I seems to be bubbling nicely now lesson learned, I cant use a 2 litre flask for a 2 lite starter....Tom

thankx for the link there dynachrome...I am pitching into 5.5 gallons of black IPA 1.072 og....I used mrmalty and came up with the same numbers....my concern was that I lost a lot of yeast out of my flask. thru the krausen...I seems to be bubbling nicely now lesson learned, I cant use a 2 litre flask for a 2 lite starter....Tom

I would think you lost of lot of yeast, but you should still get fermentation. Were you stirring it frequently?

I am assuming that you don't have a stir plate, that will greatly reduce your need for such a larger starter. I usually make about 1400 ml stater for my 1.070 beers.

I was just following the numbers from mr malty...I am still a rookie in the world of yeast numbers, I dont have a microscope...and I cant count to 3 billion anyway...I think ill just stick with 1.5 liter starters.....thankx for the replies....Tom

Latest posts

Back