Is there something in-between a counter-pressure filler and a commercial bottler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atzemis13

Reaction score
Recently I've found that I much prefer the results I get bottling from a keg rather than bottle conditioning from the fermenter. However, I absolutely hate using the counter-pressure filler. I think it takes just as long to do six bottles on that as it does to fill 55 out of the fermenter. Wondering if there are some good solutions short of spending $15,000 on a used commercial filler. I've seen rigs that people have put together to hold the counter pressure filler and bottles in place which would help a lot (especially if you chained a few together) but I'm not handy enough to design one myself (although could probably put it together if I found a guide). Any suggestions? Cheers.

The main difference is you're filling bottles from a keg with carbonated beer, instead of (mostly) flat beer from a fermenter. I guess it's an effort to save you 3 weeks of bottle conditioning time.

Make sure the carbonated beer is ice cold, 28-32°F (!), and it could help when the bottles are cold too. Maybe by chilling them in ice cold StarSan, in small batches of 6 bottles, right before filling.

51497.png

MoreBeer sells this Medusa Multihead Counter Pressure Bottle Filler

If you have your kegs in a kegerator or keezer with a tap, you could try the Tapcooler:
https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/tapcooler-counter-pressure-bottle-filler..I've heard nothing but praise for it. If I were starting again, I'd get one..as it is, when I first kegged for force-carbing and bottling I got the Blichmann Beer Gun and I've been very happy with it;
https://www.blichmannengineering.com/beergun.html
I took a look at the tapcooler page, and it says that it connects to "any forward sealing faucet." What is a "forward sealing faucet"?

Forward-sealing faucets control the flow from the front end so that no beer gets trapped in the body of the faucet. Some popular brands are Perlick, Intertap and Nuka Tap.

If I'm bottling for a party or friends house I just sanitize the tap cooler and bottles and if there's any left they last about 3 weeks (flip top) before tasting a little off. When i bottle for the shelf, think RIS , Quad, Tripple,ect. I dissasemble the tap ,clean and sanitize the tap and line. I'll bottle and cap 24 from those kegs and so far so good after 6 mos. , The Quad and Trip aren't ready yet ,but i have high hopes.

I took a look at the tapcooler page, and it says that it connects to "any forward sealing faucet." What is a "forward sealing faucet"?
"Ultratap, Vent-Matic, Perlick 600 series and Intertap faucets. These fillers can be converted to fit Perlick 500 series with an optional tap connector."

Forward sealing taps do not have the "plunger" visiable from the front of the tap.

With my tapcooler I can easily fill "foamy" beers just by dialing in the amount of counter pressure. The only downside is that you have to hold the bottle against the tap seal while filling. They now offer a device which locks in the bottle while filling freeing up both hands. The other adavantage of the tapcooler is no need to clean out 6 feet of beer line after bottling.

I've been using the Williamswarn counter pressure bottle filler for several years. I have a gen 1 I use for Brett beers and the new gen 2 for normal beers.
Quite a few microbreweries use it as their bottling device as well.
Very little mess with it. Makes bottling a pleasure.
https://williamswarn.co.nz/products/brewbottler-gen2

Just pulled the trigger on the Tapcooler. It should be ready to go by the time that my Red Rye IPA is fully carbed and matured. I look forward to bottling for friends next week with little to no O2 ingress.
I did some test bottles when I got mine and it's just too easy. The only time I had a problem is when I forgot to close the tap. Whoops!

Just pulled the trigger on the Tapcooler. It should be ready to go by the time that my Red Rye IPA is fully carbed and matured. I look forward to bottling for friends next week with little to no O2 ingress.
Tips: You'll need to open the pressure relief valve quite a bit before you hear the gas hissing out. Definitely take apart the valve when you clean the Tapcooler as it gets pretty sticky from beer (I put a bit of keg lube on it before reassembling).

Thanks for the replies all. I think I’m going to give the Williams Warn a try. Looks like it should require a lot less work than my current setup. If it works well I might get a few more and set them up in parallel.

Thanks for the replies all. I think I’m going to give the Williams Warn a try. Looks like it should require a lot less work than my current setup. If it works well I might get a few more and set them up in parallel.
Both of mine have been excellent. It's a proper bottler.

Back