Is there a substitute grain for carapils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife wants to brew an ale version of Sierra Nevada Summerfest and the recipe below calls for a lb of Carapils but I only have 1/2 lb available. Is there another grain that might be able to be used to make up for the missing 1/2 lb? I was thinking of using some crystal 10L or perhaps flaked wheat or oats. There is no LHBS within 100 miles so going out to buy some is not an option.

10 Gallon Size Batch
18 lbs 2-Row
1.0 lbs Munich
1.0 lbs Cara-Pils
1.0 oz Pearl at 60 min.
2.0 oz Saaz at 60 min.
2.0 oz Saaz at 5 min.
US-05 yeast

Thanks,

Flaked wheat is what Id use, but I think you be fine just using the 1/2 lbs of cara-pils. Or you can make the trip down here to the QC or to Dubuque.

I'd use crystal 10L if you have it. If you use one crystal malt, you usually don't even need additional crystal malt (carapils).

Wheat helps with head retention also, but in an APA with hops and crystal malt you don't need it.

I'd use crystal 10L if you have it. If you use one crystal malt, you usually don't even need additional crystal malt (carapils).

Wheat helps with head retention also, but in an APA with hops and crystal malt you don't need it.

So do you think tht I should use just a lb of crystal 10L and no carapils? The next 2 days have heavy rain in the forcast so I would like to get some brewing done because I won't be able to put in the garden yet.

Thanks for the reply

Meh, I wouldn't even bother with a sub. There are other ways to achieve body and head retention besides carapils.

_

Back