Is there a "best way" to use an IC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan_L

Reaction score
I've noticed a massive difference in the size of the trub pile between batches and i'm wondering if my chilling methods play a role. Sometimes, even after letting it rest post chill to compact, it still prevents me from getting at the last 2 and sometimes 3 inches of my 15G pot. I know I can strain the rest but was wondering if the way I chill might help.

Does constant movement of the chiller work best or does the swirl, pause, swirl work better? Swirl the chiller fast or slow?

I move the chiller up and down and sort of "role" my wrist from left to right to spin it in the kettle, like the site brulo posted you can reduce chilling time by over 50% by keeping the chiller moving.

After i pull the chiller out i simply whirlpool and cover with a lid, clean the rest of my equipment and store it away.
Takes me around 20min, in that time most of the trub has settled out. I also have a side pickup which helps.

There absolutely is a best, or more efficient, way of using an IC. Sadly, it seems few people are aware of this. Since I started using mine correctly, I've been chilling 10 gal batches in about 15 minutes. I will never use a CFC again! Here's where I learned the tricks: http://jadedbrewing.com/pages/immersion-wort-chiller-optimization

I had to get over my fears of contamination and open my lid of the brew pot and stir with a sanitized spoon. Then place the lid back on. Otherwise 20 minute chill turns to to one hour.

I use a corny keg and 1/2 inch tubing. I removed the poppets connected the corny keg to my chiller and added ice. One awesome prechiller.

I do not stir with IC because I have the jaybird hopstopper and the moving the IC will cause it to move and not work right.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I hadn't thought of using the garden hose for higher flow rate.

Back