Is Root Beer in the keg ok at room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 gallons of rootbeer kegged at room temp.. I am currently looking for a fridge for a kegerator system, but at the moment, I dont have one.. Anyway, do you guys think it's safe/sanitary to keep the rootbeer at room temp? I know it takes more CO2 to keep it carbed when it's warm, but do I have to worry about any bacterial issues since it's not refrigerated? Everything was properly santized during kegging... thanks:)

It's a risk, but it doesn't sound like you have much choice in the matter.

Soda is more susceptible to infection than beer because there's no yeast in it to out-compete any little bugger that comes along at the beginning, and then there's no alcohol to keep them out.

Sanitation only goes so far - it's not sterilization. There are microbes in there, and without yeast to kick their butts, they'll go hog wild on your sugars.

Last year I made soda and kept the keg at room temp for about a month with no problem. As long as you sanitize well you should be good. Also make sure you use HOT water when sanitizing.

I just finished a keg of home made RB 2 days ago. It was over 2 months old.

I made another batch and added it to whatever was left in there. I just opened it up (was sanitized to begin with) and dumped the new batch in top.

If you keg and don't add any yeast it'll last a long time.

I make rootbeer all the time and age it in the keg for 6 months at room temp it will be fine.

Az~

Back