Is my yeast ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishkin

Reaction score
I started brewing a lager today using Saflager W34/70 yeast. This yeast ferments best at cold temperatures (between 48 and 59 degrees Fahrenheit). But I accidently introduced the yeast at around 80 degrees F. I've put the fermenter in an old fridge so the temperature is slowly coming down but my point is that the temperature in which I introduced the lager yeast, is this too high? have I killed the yeast?

You did not kill the yeast at 80F, the yeast might be shocked going through all sorts of temperature swings, which can greatly increase lag time. You might not see any activity until 24 hours+.

This is from Wyeast's web site:

Aerate well by stirring vigorously. Seal fermenter with airlock. Keep at 75º F until fermentation begins. Then cool to desired temperature. Signs of fermentation should be evident within one day, depending on yeast strain, brewing procedures, and fermentation temperatures.

I'd give it some time before worrying too much, I'm sure others with lager yeast experience will chime in. Also try a search in the upper corner of site.

I've not used lager yeast, but in general with dry yeast I would give it 48 hours without activity before you get too worried.

(Edit: I'm too slow :) )

OK fermentation still hasn't started so I put in some spare yeast. Except the spare yeast is just some generic brand, not the original Saflager yeast I put in at the start.
Once the spare yeast starts fermenting do you think it will make the Saflager yeast kick in?
It's just that I'd rather the Saflager yeast to influence the taste of my beer and not some crappy no name yeast.

Back