Is my washed yeast infected? How long can boiled wort sit before pitching.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoNothing

Reaction score
I've tried googling this. All I come up with is ladies yeast infection issues. informative, but not what I'm looking for.

I've followed the yeast washing guide on this forum and Im thinking I must have gotten some nasties in my pints. I can't think of what these black spots might be other than an infection. However they haven't grown at all, all 4 pints I have have just about the same amount of them as well. They also all seem to be on the bottom of the yeast cake, not the top.

CyVHuwo.jpg

ntKsUkT.jpg

I ordered yeast for tomorrow's brew day and it's only just shipped and wont arrive until the 9th. So 2 days after my boil completes for all my beers.

Is that too long without yeast in the fermenter? Am I risking infection? Should I just run out and try to find the yeast locally?

I was thinking of blasting the fermenter with CO2 from the keg lines once it's in it's final resting place to hope to displace any nasties currently in the air.

I think that looks like mold, but it is hard to say for sure. It is not worth using potentially unhealthy or contaminated yeast in a good batch of wort.

Along those lines, yes, you are taking a huge risk by letting your wort sit for 2 days without any yeast. Try to find the yeast locally if you can.

How did you prepare the starter? It could just be a couple clumps of scorched extract.

Whoops - NVM. That's washed yeast, not a starter.

It is hard to tell from the pic but it sort of looks like some of the krausen ring scum. If you tried to get as much yeast as you could from the washing then sometime that scum gets transferred. I dont wash my yeast anymore just collect from the bottom of the fermentor with a little left over beer and there can be a very dark layer of stuff in the jars. When you decant and re-suspend the yeast that stuff drops to the bottom and you can pour the yeast in a way that it stays behind. When did the dark spots appear, right away of after a few days?

I have never seen mold form under something, it seem like it always form on the surface of things.

I don't wash my yeast but i get those specks in yeast cakes where i have used irish moss.

Could it just be some moss?

I don't wash my yeast but i get those specks in yeast cakes where i have used irish moss.

Could it just be some moss?

I did! Interesting that it'd show up like that.

Im planning to toss this yeast out and try washing again.

I plan in the future to just build a larger starter to pull some off fresh. My 5L flask is in the shipment with my missing yeast.

I might make a starter with one of these jars and see what happens after it sits with an airlock for a week.

Back