Is my IPA done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trimmer

Reaction score
So my IPA has been sitting in the primary fermenter for a month and the gravity is reading 1.02. It should be at 1.015. I have a party two weeks from now so I really want to carb this beer on CO2 asap. Ok to keg, or do I wait a day or two and lose a couple days of Carbonation. 1.02 is a little high for an IPA right?

Tim

extract batch? might be a case of the 1.020 Curse

if you take another reading and it's 1.020 again, it is probably done fermenting. that and the fact that it's been in primary for a month, you are probably safe to keg it

(woohoo! another NoVA homebrewer! nice bar build too)

How many hydrometer readings have you taken so far? If your unsure if its finished, your safest bet (as most will tell you) is to take three hydro readings three days in a row. If it hasn't changed, its done. As far as the carbonation is concerned, you can carb it in a matter of days if you have your pressure set correctly and have the beer cold enough. I carb mine in around 3 days or so from the time I keg.

I am going to keg this damn beer tonight. whether it is done or not it is going to be fantastic! Grog Nerd I love the skins picture. Class. You should see the finished bar pictures. It's looks great with the trim and stools up.

Fairfax Station represent!!!
Tim

Back