Is my fermentation stuck or is it done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phuff7129

Reaction score
I have an AB Clone that seems to be stuck. It started at 1.072 OG and after 1 week in primary it was at 1.024 and at week 2 in primary it was at 1.024. 3 days ago I racked it to secondary and sucked up a bunch of yeast and added about 1/4 packet of Fermintis S-04. Checked it today and it is still 1.024.

This was a partial mash. I mashed at 152 for 60 minutes. It was a good mash with a steady 152 for the whole 60.

I used 5 lbs of dme in the recipe.

I pitched a 2 liter starter with 1 vial of WLP007. Fermentation temps have been between 66 and 68 degrees actual.

Expected FG is 1.018.

I am surprised that racking to secondary and adding more yeast did nothing. I am concerned that there was I higher concentration of unfermentable sugars than I thought. Maybe my thermometer is off and I mashed too high.

What do you think, is it stuck or done? If it is stuck should I pitch another vial of WLP007 to get it going again?

let it sit for another week check again, its probably done but will benefit for sitting in primamry. Lots of things can effect FG including the brand of extract, since some are more fermentible then others.

My guess is that it is just done. Liquid malt extract does finish at a little bit higher FG. since your starting OG was at 1.072 i dont think any yeast would have a problem with it. your abv right now is right at 6%, not to toxic to kill yeast. just my .02 cents

After three weeks and a stable gravity for a whole week? You're done. Extracts sometimes finish high, and this was a pretty high gravity to begin with. Call it a beer and bottle or keg that mutha.

Unless you had too many polysaccharides and not enough yeast nutruents. Which I think can happen when you have lots of extract. Also too high temps will cause less amino acids to be produced.

I partial mash and prefer my beers drier.

I never mash above 150 F, and with higher gravity beers I will often sub out a pound of extract for a pound of table sugar.

In your case, I would recommend checking your thermometer.

If you pitched more yeast and nothing happend I'd say it's done..

+1 on checking your thermometer, as well...

Thanks alot for all of your input. It sounds like its done. I'll just let it clean up in secondary for a few weeks and bottle it. As for the thermometer I don't know. I had two other brews fermenting right next to this one that finished perfectly and I used the thermometer on those. Anyway I broke the thermometer on the last brew anyway so it's time for a new one. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back