Is my fermentation okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniacc

Reaction score
Hey all,
I’ve been brewing under a year, but in a short time I’ve gone from extract to all grain and have my own kegerator. I think I’m on my 9th batch now.
This is the recipe I’m currently fermenting:
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/west-street-bag-o-cats-ipa-grapefruit-ipa/
I’ve used us-05 before more than once, always a slow starter but plenty of Krausen. Normally I ferment at 10-12psi.

Anyway, back to the point of this post.
Here’s my typical cloudy wort + krausen all my batches have been very similar in appearance:
94488196-6C74-4DF5-9E0A-93B16506990F.jpeg

Here’s my current batch:
7D33004D-CB6E-4928-BC13-389F365734A1.jpeg

The only difference here is I used Irish moss (10mins at the end of the boil) and I’m fermenting at 15psi.
I figured even with a few more psi I should expect some krausen, but I can hear the gas coming out.

Do I need to worry about this, is this normal?

Hey all,
I’ve been brewing under a year, but in a short time I’ve gone from extract to all grain and have my own kegerator. I think I’m on my 9th batch now.
This is the recipe I’m currently fermenting:
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/west-street-bag-o-cats-ipa-grapefruit-ipa/
I’ve used us-05 before more than once, always a slow starter but plenty of Krausen. Normally I ferment at 10-12psi.

Anyway, back to the point of this post.
Here’s my typical cloudy wort + krausen all my batches have been very similar in appearance:
View attachment 780780

Here’s my current batch:
View attachment 780781

The only difference here is I used Irish moss (10mins at the end of the boil) and I’m fermenting at 15psi.
I figured even with a few more psi I should expect some krausen, but I can hear the gas coming out.

Do I need to worry about this, is this normal?
I think I’ve answered my own question, I think that the Irish moss has cleared my wort more than normal so I can see the yeast growing far more clearly than I have in the past. That combined with a slower start than normal means the krausen is probably stilll yet to develop, maybe the extra pressure has helped delay it a little

Fermentations can be very interesting, there are many ways they can exhibit themselves.

All those gnarly blooms are proteins and such, coagulating wildly in your Irish Moss kettle fined beer. It's the CO2 that pushes those blooms up. I guess it reduces foaming (krausen) on the top too.
Did you dump the whole kettle into the fermenter or let it settle out first, then rack/transfer clear wort from the top, leaving most of the precipitated trub behind?

Fermentations can be very interesting, there are many ways they can exhibit themselves.

All those gnarly blooms are proteins and such, coagulating wildly in your Irish Moss kettle fined beer. It's the CO2 that pushes those blooms up. I guess it reduces foaming (krausen) on the top too.
Did you dump the whole kettle into the fermenter or let it settle out first, then rack/transfer clear wort from the top, leaving most of the precipitated trub behind?
Yeah, I find it really interesting to see like this! Previously it’s just been too cloudy. I have a brewzilla gen3, so once the boil was done I used a coil to cool it down, then used the circulation arm and pump to transfer it directly to my fermenter in the hope that any bigger bits and trub would get filtered by the false bottom. I’ve also got an in-line filter in my fermenter which is much finer grain when it comes to kegging after I cold crash too.

Usually when you use Irish moss, Whirlfloc or other finings in the boil kettle, it's to try to cause that stuff to fall out while cooling your wort. Then you leave what dropped out in the kettle and just put the clearer wort in your FV.

I have found that with Whirlfloc, too much is just as bad as none. I'd imagine it's similar for other finings.

IMO, if you don't get a good cold break and whirlpool cone of sediment to keep that stuff out of the FV, then you may as well use nothing and just let it become trub on the bottom of the FV. Might take longer after fermentation for the beer to clean up, but I'm in no hurry.

Latest posts

Back