Is less than 24 hours enough time for a starter for a 1.08 beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
I am doing my first bigger beer (around 8.5% ABV) with an OG of 1.08 tomorrow. I am going to do a starter tonight when I get home (around 6) and let it sit overnight before brewing tomorrow afternoon. Is that too soon to get good results? My next day off is Tuesday so I could hold off until then, but I'd really like to get it done tomorrow. I'm using 1 vial of WLP01 (California ale) if that makes a difference. I've heard of people not using starters ever, but I feel more comfortable using one

I don't think it would be optimal, but you'll be fine. In the future, I would recommend giving it 36-48 hours.

Go for it. You'll make beer and be happy.

I agree that a starter shouldn't be considered option for a brew with an OG of 1.080... IMO (and many others), once you pass 1.060 a starter really isn't optional. I would also give the starter enough time to get into a good stage before brewing. If you have a stir plate (sounds like you don't) you could get it there sooner. I would hit it with a solid dose of pure O2 before pitching the yeast, to give them the oxygen they'll need to go to town.

If you plan to make big brews on a fairly regular basis, or even X per year, then I would highly recommend getting an oxygen infusion system. I would also get a flask and stir plate for making your starters. A stir plate is the next piece of gear I'll be getting. Especially since it will help me make smaller starters for my bigger brews. I already have the O2 setup (will be tweaking it to use my large O2 tank before the next batch)... Spending a few dollars on these items will help you a ton with your brews. Money well spent, IMO.

My latest take on starters is:
Hit the mix with O2 for 20 seconds
48 hours on the stir plate or longer if not very milky in appearance
36-48 hours in the fridge to drop the yeast
pull off the "beer" on top of the yeast
mix with clean water so the yeast is back in suspension, then pitch

Any deviation from the above is not fatal

I've done several in that OG range with 1 vial of WLP-001 and 2Qt starter in a gallong jug.. O2 at start. I just let it run for 24 hrs and pitched the whole thing. Beer turned out great and was fermenting furiously within 6 hours of pitching. (ferm temp 68F)

Lots of folks prefer to decant but I only do that for really big beers (1.1 or so or higher) or lagers since you need so freaking much starter

if you don't feel like making a starter, another option is to just use fermentis S-05. same yeast strain, just cheaper and dry. 2 packs would be optimal, but 1 would suffice.

Leaving it for longer than 24 hours at room temperature is harmful to the culture. Straight from Wyeast:

Last edited by a moderator:
you'll be fine if you can provide it with lots of oxygen, do you have a stirplate?

from malty
Doss says a starter made from an XL pack of yeast into 2 liters of wort will reach its maximum cell density within 12-18 hours. If you're starting with a very small amount of yeast in a large starter, it can take 24 hours or more to reach maximum cell densities. For the average starter, let's just say that the bulk of the yeast growth is done by 12-18 hours.

Back