Is krausen a big deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudNini

Reaction score
Just wondering how I should handle Krausen in my traditional. This is a straight traditional using TOSNA. Should I break this up and stir into the mead or just let it be. I am just pass the sugar break and have stopped degassing because I no longer need to feed. My thoughts were to let it ferment dry but now I am getting krausen and it confuses me on what way to handle it.

Krausen... or foam and froth? Honey does not have a lot of protein in the way that barley does so I don't know that you get "krausen" when you make mead.

Krausen... or foam and froth? Honey does not have a lot of protein in the way that barley does so I don't know that you get "krausen" when you make mead.
Sorry, that’s what I have been told . Ok interject foam or froth instead of krausen with the same question.

Is there a problem with anything? What's the current SG? I generally stir until secondary, at about 1.010 or so.
My OG was 1.103 it is now just pass sugar break 1.069 and now that I have stopped feeding and degassing there is what I have been told is (krausen) foam or froth on top of the mead. This is my first time using dry yeast and TOSNA. D47 yeast. I guess there is no big deal but I thought I would ask.
thank you Yooper
I will gently stir until 1.010

My OG was 1.103 it is now just pass sugar break 1.069 and now that I have stopped feeding and degassing there is what I have been told is (krausen) foam or froth on top of the mead. This is my first time using dry yeast and TOSNA. D47 yeast. I guess there is no big deal but I thought I would ask.
thank you Yooper
I will gently stir until 1.010

No need to "gently" stir- get the gas out of it as c02 is poisonous to yeast.

No need to "gently" stir- get the gas out of it as c02 is poisonous to yeast.
That’s where I got confused, I thought I was supposed to leave it alone after the sugar break and let it ferment dry. My instinct was to keep getting the gas out but I have been told so many different things my head is spinning lol

That’s where I got confused, I thought I was supposed to leave it alone after the sugar break and let it ferment dry. My instinct was to keep getting the gas out but I have been told so many different things my head is spinning lol

You want to avoid oxygenating the mead (or wine) when fermentation is finished, or nearly so. Until then, it's good to stir to break up the cap and to release co2. A healthy yeast makes a good tasting mead. Unhealthy yeast creates off-flavors, so you want to keep the yeast happy.

You want to avoid oxygenating the mead (or wine) when fermentation is finished, or nearly so. Until then, it's good to stir to break up the cap and to release co2. A healthy yeast makes a good tasting mead. Unhealthy yeast creates off-flavors, so you want to keep the yeast happy.
Once again Yooper thank you for the response,you have been patient and a big help. Now I think I need a drink.

Google agrees with you that it's a beer term. But literal translation from German says frills, or curls which sorta fits. I say call it krausen... or call it foam, or call it Bob. :)

Back