Is it possible to use TOO much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryznic

Reaction score
I was just curious if that this was possible?

The reason I ask is, I was reading up on washing yeast. And I was thinking that your prolly not getting all the yeast you could doing that. But I guess it doesn't matter cuz the yeast multiply right? And if they have a good environment than they prolly do that uber fast. I dunno I am just rambling on lol

Yes. Reproductive yeast jizz is a key element to beer flavor. Pitching too much yeast leaves them no room to play the Barry White album.

What a great name for a perfume... Yeast Jizz!

Slogan: When getting drunk just isn't enough!

It can be a problem with pitching too much (or too little) yeast. If you use too little yeast you can possibly wind up with a fermentation that gets stuck (very little to no activity -- which may contribute to off-flavors) or a situation where wild bacteria is stronger than the yeast because there's not enough of the yeast beasts to take 'em out (though this probably wouldn't be a problem with good sanitation of your fermentation vessel). If you pitch too much yeast in a beer that isn't a high gravity brew (lots and lots of sugars from the grains) you risk running into too little food for the yeast to eat. Basically you'll end up with a lot of dead yeast that just starve to death (which will also contribute off-flavors to your precious beer).

Kind of on a related tangent, but that's also why you should rack your beer as soon as you see the fermentation die down -- if you let it sit with no activity the yeast will start self-destructing because there isn't much sugar left and you'll wind up with dead cells in the bottom of your fermentor (this is autolyzed yeast -- what's used in MSG, by the way).

so when using washed yeast how do you know how much to use? Just exp in eye balling it or what? (I read the sticky thread in the yeast forum).

What does racking have to do with the yeast? Some people don't even use a secondary.

It seems everyday I get more and more confused browsing this forum. So much info to try and digest.

Best practice is to calculate the yeast needed and then pitch a close estimate of needed slurry based on slurry being 25% yeast, IIRC. There is a good thread in here on why not to pitch on the cake that outlines the math to a volume.

As to autolysis, it is not a myth but not usually anything that we have to worry about since the pressures in the fermenter are a fraction of that in a 50bbl uni-tank.

I hate to get technical here, but there is no such thing as yeast jizz. Yeast multiplies by being confined within a restricted area which forces them to rub noses. Mucus is passed between yeast noses, and this is the beginning of their reproductive cycle.

To find out more about this fascinating process, it is best to simply search this forum for "Over pitching" ;)

I hate to get technical here, but there is no such thing as yeast jizz. Yeast multiplies by being confined within a restricted area which forces them to rub noses. Mucus is passed between yeast noses, and this is the beginning of their reproductive cycle.

To find out more about this fascinating process, it is best to simply search this forum for "Over pitching" ;)

My understanding of the process is that as the cell buds, spooge or wimmin jizz is emiited from the budding site as the new cell emerges. Sorta like the wet spot left on the leather sofa on sexy nite.

It can be a problem with pitching too much (or too little) yeast. If you use too little yeast you can possibly wind up with a fermentation that gets stuck (very little to no activity -- which may contribute to off-flavors) or a situation where wild bacteria is stronger than the yeast because there's not enough of the yeast beasts to take 'em out (though this probably wouldn't be a problem with good sanitation of your fermentation vessel). If you pitch too much yeast in a beer that isn't a high gravity brew (lots and lots of sugars from the grains) you risk running into too little food for the yeast to eat. Basically you'll end up with a lot of dead yeast that just starve to death (which will also contribute off-flavors to your precious beer).

Kind of on a related tangent, but that's also why you should rack your beer as soon as you see the fermentation die down -- if you let it sit with no activity the yeast will start self-destructing because there isn't much sugar left and you'll wind up with dead cells in the bottom of your fermentor (this is autolyzed yeast -- what's used in MSG, by the way).

If I don't use a secondary, should I still let it sit in my fermentor for 3 weeks, or will the yeast die by then?

If I don't use a secondary, should I still let it sit in my fermentor for 3 weeks, or will the yeast die by then?

The concensus is that it takes quite a long time for them to die and a month is no problem. I've had a batch on the cake for three months and there are no problems with it.

Once sugar is depleted yeast store glycogen. Once the glycogen is depleted, if no sugar is present, the yeast will begin to self digest. In summary.

Takes longer to happen than we give credit for in a home brewery because the conditions are much different.

Racking just means moving the beer off of the trub (all the particulates that fall out of suspension and settle onto the bottom of your vessel) -- not necessarily into a secondary. It could be into a bottling bucket if that's your post-primary deal, or into kegs, or whatever you use.

Back