Is it possible to move a hop plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm living in a house I really hate and I'm hoping to move in the near term... and I've been saying that for three years now. I would really like to grow some hops, but I'm worried that I'll end up being able to move and have to leave my hops behind.

Is it possible to pot an established plant up and re-home it? If so, are there any special considerations for doing this?

I wish I'd asked this question in 2011. I'd have some friggin' fuggles by now.

I'd say you have waited for your hop plants too long.

With most plants:
As much soil as possible needs to go with a live growing plant. It would help also to cut it back severely . . . . like to 5'

Very little to no dirt if you get the chance to move it while dormant. Keep it moist and unfrozen during the move.

Either way, you probably have a educed crop the year after your move.

Have you considered container planting? For the short term.

'da Kid

P.S. I bought plants from HighHops a couple weeks ago and they are growing slowly, yet setting a ton of roots. They have your Fuggles today . . .

Its a plant! Of course you can move it I am actually getting ready to move one of my centennials. Like theKidd said take as much of the soil around the plant with it to prevent shock. I would definitely suggest moving it when the plant is not actively growing and don't plant it and try and fertilize it as it can further harm a stressed plant. If you have to move it sooner than later just try and take as much with you as you can.

...Well, dammit, TheKid. Now I've got $40 in hops on the way. Look what you made me do! :ban:

My wife's a gardening nut and there are a couple of plants she wants that apparently go "into shock" really easily... I don't really remember which ones. Plants are only interesting to me if I can brew with them. ;) How large a container would I need per hop plant? And if I'm not sticking it in the ground, what kind of soil should I get to fill the pots with? I assume fertilized potting soil is a no-no?

...Well, dammit, TheKid. Now I've got $40 in hops on the way. Look what you made me do! :ban:

My wife's a gardening nut and there are a couple of plants she wants that apparently go "into shock" really easily... I don't really remember which ones. Plants are only interesting to me if I can brew with them. ;) How large a container would I need per hop plant? And if I'm not sticking it in the ground, what kind of soil should I get to fill the pots with? I assume fertilized potting soil is a no-no?

Well, if the wife is a gardening nut . . . . you wont fail. There is plenty for her to read up on when the plants are showing stress.

Kerin, my plants are in 1-gallon grower pots waiting for their home this Fall. Their new spot will be the North side of the garden where some 'maters are right now. They'd be in the ground right not, but I want to amend the soil some more.
I used Miracle-Grow soil. Same as every other potted plant the Misses has outside.

I kept my HighHops in partial shade, East side of the house for the first week.

'da Kid

We dug out a 3 year old crown in this episode - shot early this spring.
The plant is doing awesome in it's new home - pic below.

994905_764567179673_1128375762_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back