Is it okay to leave starsan in a sealed keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do. I mix up about 2-1/2 gallons with distilled water and keep it in a 3 gallon pinlock keg. I pressurize it with a bicycle pump.

Many people do just this, as a means of storing it. (that is of course of you have an extra keg). As mentioned above, hit it with some co2 and purge the o2.

I keep 4+ gallons on hand in a dedicated keg. Every once and a while I dump it and recharge it. I only use distilled H2O w/ the star san. Never had any issues.

Yup. Great way to clean your lines out too. Hook up the gas and run about a gallon through the taps.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I put 1.25 gallons of StarSan in my kegs after I clean them and then shake. I pressurize the keg and run StarSan through the out post. With my water, the StarSan goes cloudy after a couple of days in the keg. That might mean that the pH has gone up and it is no longer effective as a sanitizer, but I've never checked.

i used distilled water though for kegs i'll just put an inch or two in there, seal it, then shake it up.. it'll be good to go whenever just shake it up again before use and dump the contents

I use tap water, keep it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Gets cloudy, but the pH stays stable around 2.5. I've kept a bottle around the lab just to check as i read this cloudy comment often, like it means something.

The fear of cloudy starsan is one that is only known by someone not using a pH meter. Not that using DI, RO, Millipore, or distilled water is a bad thing, but not necessary at all (unless you have some funky tap water to begin wth).

I just started leaving star san in my extra keg with no issues. I use my air compressor with a regulator set at 20 psi to flush my lines. Works really good.

I always leave star san in my kegs; also store it in spray bottles and plastic jugs. I do test the PH once in a while but never had an issue were it went bad.

Back