Is it ok to let fermentation temperature drop a bit after primary has completed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Washington_Brewologist

THE PNW BIAB BrewOlogist
Reaction score
I have an IPA that I have been fermenting in my garage for the last week. Temp during primary was hovering around 68-70 no problem there, I then wrapped it in a blanket and stuck it in a dark corner of my garage. When I checked on it today I noticed the temp had dropped to 64 degrees...

Do you think I should try to warm it back up to the suggested fermentation temp?

PS: I'm finally starting to see the value in buying another fridge to use as a fermentation chamber. This temperature thing can get a bit ridiculous at times!

Thanks Guys and Gals!

-Washington Brewologist

If that was a full week around 68-70 ambient and you did a good pitch the odds are that brew was pretty much "done" before the modest temperature drop. No harm likely from a bit of cooling. I'd be more concerned about where the wort temperature was 2 or 3 days into the original fermentation.

btw, 64 degrees sounds freakin' wonderful right now - it's been hella hot on our side of the country for the last week!

Cheers!

What yeast? I try to ferment most of my ipas around 64 if I can. 70 might be on the high end

I used 2 packs of Wyeast Ringwood because I couldn't find the yeast that the recipe called for and wanted to try something new!
I'm already on the prowl for a mini fridge or freezer that I can turn into a fermentation chamber. This whole pitch it and hope for the best thing ain't working out for me anymore!

Back