Is it ever too late to re pitch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzelina

Reaction score
I have an Irish stout fermenting that did not seem to go very long. It's been about 10 days, and I plan on checking the gravity to see where it's at. Then have to give it another day or two and re check meaning it may be two weeks in the fermentor. if fermentation has indeed stalled is it too late to re pitch?

Never too late. It would be too early considering you havnt checked gravity yet, primary fermentation will usually be all done within the week

Never too late. It would be too early considering you havnt checked gravity yet, primary fermentation will usually be all done within the week

Thanks just getting a jump on things. It may have just took off when I was not looking, but if not I was checking out my options

The visible part of ale fermentation is usually done in 2 to 4 days and during that time it should build up a head of krausen and which will then subside and sink into the beer (most of the time). The beer will still be fermenting but this part is much slower and give off no CO2 so people think that the yeast have quit but instead they are working on the intermediate products and this goes much slower.

Check with your hydrometer. If the gravity is lower you have had fermentation. If you pitched a decent amount of yeast and aerated well, you beer will have so many billions of yeast that pitching the paltry amount that you have will probably do nothing.

When will I learn RDWHAHB. As it turns out, I was able to get a gravity reading today. 1.013 down from 1.054. that S 04 really knocked it out fast. it took about 20 hours to start, and no bubbles 48 hours after that. Can't wait to get at this one sample tasted great.:tank:

Back