Is excessive sediment a problem for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boswell3000

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has some insight as to whether or not excessive sediment would impede fermentation? On both occasions, my brother-in-law inadvertently sucked EVERYTHING out of the kettle with the siphon; in both batches (a Baltic porter, and most recently and alt beer) do not show any indications of fermentation (i.e. bubble in airlock). While I'm aware that the bubbles are not a yes/no indicator of fermentation, I'm stumped as to what is slowing the process down.

The Alt, for example, had a target OG of 1.053. My reading after a 60min boil was 1.040. Last night I gave the fermenter a whirl and a shake and did notice a bit of pressure behind my sanitized thumb. A good thing, right? I plan on waiting a few more days before I open to check the SG.

Also, this alt beer temp range is 55-61 degrees F. Noticed I didn't turn down my heater in the closet, which was reading a balmy 70. High temp having a negative effect?

Should have mentioned that...I used a White Labs WLP029 (German Ale/Kolsch). I didn't use a starter - didn't think it was necessary for this one. Should also mention the Alt was an extract kit from Northern Brewer.

Should have mentioned that...I used a White Labs WLP029 (German Ale/Kolsch). I didn't use a starter - didn't think it was necessary for this one. Should also mention the Alt was an extract kit from Northern Brewer

i dump the trub into the fermentor without a problem. did you use a starter? if you just pitched the vial maybe it will take a bit before the yeast start showing their stuff but you can bet that they are working away in there. give it time.

Back