Is everything still ok

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle56

Reaction score
Hi there I started a batch sat. And after I cooled down the wort I threw in about a third of a 750ml bottle of vodka and then after 20 mins. I threw in the yeast .......after the first 24 hr the air lock was bubbling like crazy and then Monday at about 4 pm I checked it and it was barely doing anything ..........is everything gonna still turn out ok?I'm nervous because I added the vodka Tia
kyle

sounds fine. the only problem i see is putting vodka in it. why? and even more so, why?

Should be fine, make sure your temp has been staying within the target range for your yeast that you chose. You could give the fermenter a swirl to try and suspend the yeast and get them going again. If your temp is on the low side you might try raising it up a couple degrees to get them going as well. You should be fine though.

Define ok.

What were you making or attempting to make? Why does it have vodka in it?

It's hard to tell if it's ok if we don't what what it IS.

EDIT: Look at all the "why the vodka" posts. LOL

Was doing a raspberry wheat kit and add raspberry vodka thought it would bring up the %

Was doing a raspberry wheat kit and add raspberry vodka thought it would bring up the %

you would want to add raspberries to that brew. Mabe soaked in a little vodka. There are so many other ways to bump the ABV. Best would be to add a lb or two of DME (dry malt extract) during the boil.

Well, the good news is that it is probably fine.

What size batch is this?

Also, don't go by the airlock bubbling as a sign of fermentation. Just leave it be for 2 weeks and check your gravity then.

Do you have a hydrometer?

If I was going to add flavored vodka to my beer (which..no) I would have waited until primary fermentation was complete. That said, you're probably still fine, might have stressed the yeast a little, depending on the size of the batch. Check the gravity, give it a swirl, check again in three days or so.

Assuming it's a 5 gallon batch, then you added about a teaspoon of vodka per beer. I can't see this being overly noticeable, but if someone offered me a beer and a teaspoon of vodka, I can't see myself mixing them together just for the sake of becoming more efficiently inebriated.

I can see where a new brewer might get confused given that a lot of people use vodka to make their own fruit or spice extracts to be added at bottling time.

OP, as others have said, if you want stronger beer the best option is to feed the yeast more sugar. More sugar in the wort = more alcohol in the beer. But of course you'll probably end up happier in the end if you focus first on making beer that tastes really good :)

I don't have a ton of experience making fruit beers, but I prefer to use real fruit rather than extract, even if the results are somewhat less consistent. I just don't care for the taste of extracts, but that's a personal preference.

EDIT: OP, is this your first batch? What does it smell like? Did you notice a krausen form? I know others are suggesting taking a hydro reading and/or agitating the yeast, but given that you've had some fermentation I might suggest just leaving it alone for a bit.

Vodka flavored beer! Yummy!

Sorry I had to.

I bet that it will be fine. It may throw off your gravity readings quite a bit if you checked.

I dont want to get left out here so:
Why did you add vodka?

in all seriousness, if you wanted to drink something with a higher ABV, you already had a bottle of vodka!

I know in wine homemaking people will add vodka or Grain Alcohol to bump up the ABV a % or 2, but vodka and wine work well together.
Beer and vodka.......again, why???????

:tank:

:off:No need to pile on. OP already said he added vodka to boost the abv and add raspberry flavour. I think it's been made pretty clear that the majority here don't consider that to be the best thought out plan. Who knows, maybe it will taste amazing - but regardless I'm sure he won't do it again. Making mistakes is a great way to learn. :mug:

Yes this was a 5 gallon batch the temp did probably go down over night I live in Buffalo NY and we are in that don't wanna turn the heat on anymore this year I'll give it a stir and Ill bring up the temp and see .........side question is it ok to remove bucket lid to stir and replace it right after ?or should I just slosh it around a bit ?

Yes this was a 5 gallon batch the temp did probably go down over night I live in Buffalo NY and we are in that don't wanna turn the heat on anymore this year I'll give it a stir and Ill bring up the temp and see .........side question is it ok to remove bucket lid to stir and replace it right after ?or should I just slosh it around a bit ?

I would not remove the lid nor slosh the beer around. Let it do it's thing. If this is your first brew, I would take some time and read the How To here and ask some questions to have a successful brew. Nothing is worse than spending a month or more making beer and having it come out tasting like dead dog ass. For the most part making beer easy and don't go too crazy to start with until you get your feet wet.

I'm not in the club that says you should try to rouse your yeast. You are judging fermentation by the air lock, and some of us that SHOULD know better are just arbitrarily recommending to rouse the fermenter.

There was barely any vodka in there for a 5 gal batch... I don't think it would be highly detrimental.

What temp is it at now?

Strong bubbling the first 24 hrs then dropping to almost nothing may be just fine if the conditions are right for it or your lid isn't sealed completely (no big deal).

The only way to know for sure is to pop open the lid and check your gravity.

But the temp that it's at now will give us a better idea. If it's much below 55-60° ambient, then it could be on the low side for fermenting with most ale yeasts.

Personally, I'd just leave it alone for another week and check it then. But the temp it's fermenting at currently could possibly change my suggestion.

Another vote for leave it alone. You're risking infection and oxidation to tamper with what sounds to be a perfectly healthy beer. Resist the temptation to do something just for the sake of doing something.

Hurry up and just stand there!

I'm not in the club that says you should try to rouse your yeast. You are judging fermentation by the air lock, and some of us that SHOULD know better are just arbitrarily recommending to rouse the fermenter.

There was barely any vodka in there for a 5 gal batch... I don't think it would be highly detrimental.

What temp is it at now?

Strong bubbling the first 24 hrs then dropping to almost nothing may be just fine if the conditions are right for it or your lid isn't sealed completely (no big deal).

The only way to know for sure is to pop open the lid and check your gravity.

But the temp that it's at now will give us a better idea. If it's much below 55-60° ambient, then it could be on the low side for fermenting with most ale yeasts.

Personally, I'd just leave it alone for another week and check it then. But the temp it's fermenting at currently could possibly change my suggestion.

Brought the temp back up to 70 over night I'll just leave it for the time being .........and hope for the best .......thanks for the help

One of the best lessons you can learn about brewing is patience. Leave it alone for at least 10 days. Don't open it, don't swirl it, don't do anything but keep it the same temperature for those 10 days. Then check to see if it looks like beer.

Latest posts

Back