is boiling jars necessary for harvesting yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyoesq

Reaction score
I have looked at a ton of videos on youtube re: harvesting yeast.
Everyone starts with boiling the jars that they are going to ultimately use to sterilize them.
Is there any problem with just soaking them in starsan? seems like it would be a lot easier, and a lot less likely to burn off my fingers.
Am I missing something here?
I understand you will ultimately need to boil some water for the harvesting.
Just looking if I could skip the boiling jars / lids / funnels / etc.

Starsan is a sanitizer, which means it kills most, but not all, of the germs. For yeast harvesting, you need to sterilize the vessel, which requires boiling. In fact, a pressure canner will do a better job of this, as it subjects the jars to temps around 250F.

i use jam sized mason jars and old white labs vials to harvest yeast from a overbuilt starters for all my stored yeasts. I havent had issues with contamination from simply rinsing thoroughly and filling the jars/vials with starsan and dumping it out before filling them with yeast. I do boilt eh starter wort of course

I use Starsan in the jars after a hot tap water rinse. No water in the fermentor either. Just swirl up the trub/yeast layer with the remaining beer and fill the jar.

Boiling also sanitizes. Sterility requires higher heat and pressure.

Boiling IMO is more aggressive a sanitation regime than just using a sanitizer. They don't need to be boiled for long. 1minute is sufficient. It's not going to sterilize regardless of how long you boil.

Either makes sense so do what you feel more comfortable with.

For long term yeast storage I boil the vessels but my scientific rationale for doing so rather than using sanitizer as I do on all other cold-side brewing components, is weak to say the least.

Last edited:
Doesn't boiling the jars also drive off oxygen, which helps preserve the yeast?

Not entirely sure how necessary it is though

I never boil them. I truly clean the jars and use Starsan after that.
Never had any infection nor any other problems doing so.

I harvest from starters or wash after fermentation.

The oxygen in the glass?

Not following you.

I believe the rational is that you use the water utilized in boiling the jars for the washing and storage of the yeast, and since the water was boiled, it contains less oxygen.

I used to boil them for 20 minutes. Now I just wash them in the dishwasher, seal them after they are dry and sanitize in StarSan before use.

I used to boil, but became tired of the hassle, so I switched to giving the jars a Starsan soak. I've always just Starsan'd the flask when making starters (I never boil in the flask), so I figured if that works, why not just Starsan the storage jars and call it good. So far, so good.

I believe the rational is that you use the water utilized in boiling the jars for the washing and storage of the yeast, and since the water was boiled, it contains less oxygen.

Gotcha. I suppose it does. I chuck it down the sink either way.

Boil jars, lids and rings and a tongs to handle things for a few minutes.

Place empty jars wth lids atop them on counter and let cool.

Harvest yeast as described in the linked thread.

Slurry 1 day later

DSC02249.jpg

I boil them 5 minutes but as a min I would fill them 1/2 full with water and run them in the microwave till they boil a few minutes. The only real time is cool down so if you do it a few hours before harvesting it's really no extra time to know nothing in that jar is alive.

The oxygen in the glass?

Not following you.

Might have been talking out of my ass on this one. When canning, you're supposed to boil to remove oxygen but now that I think about it that only really helps when the jars contain food.

I'll see myself out :drunk:

I washed yeast for the first time yesterday. I keep a bucket of starsan and just left the jar submerged for a good 30min while I did other stuff. I assume it is fine. Any good test before reusing the yeast to avoid ruining a batch?

I spray Star San into my jars, shake it around to coat the entire inside of the jar and lid, then let it sit for a few minutes before dumping out the little liquid in there. That's it.

I washed yeast for the first time yesterday. I keep a bucket of starsan and just left the jar submerged for a good 30min while I did other stuff. I assume it is fine. Any good test before reusing the yeast to avoid ruining a batch?

Make a starter, if it smells funky you got an infection.

Back