Is Apfelwein and Cider different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcows

Reaction score
A few years ago I made a 5 gallon batch of Ed Worts Apfelwein. I used 5 gallons of members mark Apple juice, 2 pounds of corn sugar, and Montrachet wine yeast. It was good, ended up with a high abv, dry and easy to drink.

I’ve purchased some hard ciders recently and they have more of an Apple flavor than what I made. So first question is an Apfelwein the same as a hard cider? Would I get different results using a true cider? It’s fall so the gallon jugs of cider are showing up in the stores.

There's really no standardization of naming.

I think my dry sparkling cider has good flavor. I don't add sugar except for bottle carbonation. Low fermentation temperature helps a lot.

The filtered juice I've used mostly hasn't been great.

Apfelwein is German, most famous in the Frankfurt area, locally called "ebbelwoi", which is just Apfelwein in the local dialect. The German version is still, no bubbles, and I think it is fermented without any additional sugar, just plain apple juice.

We drink it often "aufgespritzt" meaning some sparkling water or sweet lemonade like sprite or 7up is mixed with the ebbelwoi in the glass after pouring.

Ebbelwoi is usually very dry, that's why some people like to add lemonade, instead of sparkling water.

Apfelwein is German, most famous in the Frankfurt area, locally called "ebbelwoi", which is just Apfelwein in the local dialect. The German version is still, no bubbles, and I think it is fermented without any additional sugar, just plain apple juice.....

The last time I had apfelwein, I had been playing guitar on the streets in Sachsenhausen. We had been playing all day (Hauptwache, several other places) and were dry and parched. We bought some litre bottles of apfelwein from a guy on the street and lay down on the grass to sleep near the Ruder club and watched the mist come off the Main.... We could see the Frankfurter Dom, the lights shining on it through the night..... Great times. Thanks for bringing the memory out.

So first question is an Apfelwein the same as a hard cider?
I've been pondering this question myself after reading about Apfelwein here on HBT.
After some hunting around on Google I came to the conclusion that German Apfelwein is made the same way other ciders are, they use what apples they can get and it is what it is. Apparently some pubs over there make their own, some buy it from larger producers, some use special apples known only to them.
Pubs will offer the Apfelwein with varying amounts of sweetness.

I noticed this product in a liquor store and I bought a can:
upload_2019-10-13_2-58-20.jpeg

Haven't tried it yet but online reviews are mixed. I'm guessing it will be an "industrial" version of Apfelwein.
Here's a good article with some interesting information:
http://schiller-wine.blogspot.com/2015/08/best-of-apfelwein-frankfurt-tipp-in.html

As a broad general rule (and you know what they say about broad general rules- they're made to be broken), cider is around the 5-6%ABV area, and apfelwein, at least the American version, is a wine- more like 9-13%. Because of all the added sugar (see edworts recipe). It is less likely to retain much apple character, but you can help that somewhat by priming with frozen apple juice concentrate.

As a broad general rule (and you know what they say about broad general rules- they're made to be broken), cider is around the 5-6%ABV area BNç cc , and apfelwein, at least the American version, is a wine- more like 9-13%. Because of all the added sugar (see edworts recipe). It is less likely to retain much apple character, but you can help that somewhat by priming with frozen apple juice concentrate.
I find it a bit misleading to call an American version a German name, when it does not have much in common with the German original.

At least an"American" in front of it would clarify what's meant.

As a broad general rule (and you know what they say about broad general rules- they're made to be broken), cider is around the 5-6%ABV area, and apfelwein, at least the American version, is a wine- more like 9-13%.
Here's a quote from the blog article I included in my post:
German apple wine typically has an alcohol content of 4%–9% and a tart, sour taste. Traditionally, it is not bubbly.

I've never been to Germany, so I have to take the author's word for it.

Here's a quote from the blog article I included in my post:
German apple wine typically has an alcohol content of 4%–9% and a tart, sour taste. Traditionally, it is not bubbly.

I've never been to Germany, so I have to take the author's word for it.
I have never seen an apfelwein that had more abv that could have resulted from natural occurring sugars. Maybe there are a few companies doing a higher strength version by adding sugar to it, but it is definitely not the norm.

"I’ve purchased some hard ciders recently and they have more of an Apple flavor than what I made."

Adding sugar boosts the alcohol, but destroys the apple flavor. It's best if you don't add sugar.

I have never seen an apfelwein that had more abv that could have resulted from natural occurring sugars. Maybe there are a few companies doing a higher strength version by adding sugar to it, but it is definitely not the norm.

Maybe people think of Ed Wort's popular recipe on this forum, and not a traditional german product when they hear apfelwein?

I'm able to get Golden Russet juice sometimes, and it makes cider with an alcohol content of 7% to 8%, with no added sugar.

Back