Is a good lager possible at 65 deg.?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King of the Swill

Reaction score
I do not have the set up to brew lagers but would love to do it. Has anyone had success with a Kolsch that had the primary and secondary with temperatures around 65 degrees? Would a California Steam do well at that temperature? I realize that best results for lagers are around 50 degrees, but right now I don't have the equipment. If anyone has had success with a lager at around 65 degrees, please let me know.

P.S. Most lager yeast will get a funny/fruity taste to it if it is fermented at a higher temp. Basically lager yeasts are more durable at lower temps where off fruity/off flavours cannot develope as a by-product of the lager yeast. Ale yeasts, respected for fruity notes, are not hardy @ lower temps. When you put a lager yeast at ale temps, your beer will ferment, and will act as an ale - but will also have the off flavours since the lager yeast is working out of its element.

landhoney said:
Is making a good lager possible @ 58 degrees F ?
Maybe.

If you want lager-like qualities at ale temperatures, try a REALLY clean ale yeast strain like Nottingham, then, after your beer has carbonated, set your fridge as cold as it goes (almost freezing is good), and condition your beer for another month or two.

Here is a link with popular lager yeasts and their recommended temps:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/beprlist.htm#lager

I personally did 2 "lagers" @ low-mid 50 degrees and both tasted like lagers - not ales. I would try it if you could do high 50's....and maybe try to add a bit more hops for bitterness to hide any possible fruity flavours. But high 50's seems to be pushing the limit.

Some people will also correctly point out that the 50's range is for primary fermantation and that just above freezing will be the true way to lager for several weeks. Most of the north american breweries do not "lager" for weeks on end...they just primary and secondary ferment it for a few weeks.

Cheers

Yeah I am pretty sure that for a generic lager it would be ferment at about 55, lager at 45 or lower.

I fermented my maibock at 50, secondary at 55, then lagered by gradually dropping the temperature 5 degrees per day until it hit 34, then lagered for 4 weeks.

I did this in the dead of winter in my basement/pantry and using an igloo cooler and ice bottles. For summer, even with a basement, it won't be possible for me. Next winter, I'm going to try a couple of different lagers, but we're keeping the maibock as a spring staple!

The wine lab I work in is set to 58 degrees, but I can lower it to 55 - but not any lower. We have a large walk in cooler but its set at 38 degrees but that's obviously too cold. Looks like I have to try it once and see, and if it doen't work I'll try something else.

You can bottle lager.... Got the idea from "Better Beer and How to Brew it" by M.R. Reese. The book is old but the process works.

So you're making Kolsches or Cream Ales. No big deal...

I was making lagers like this all winter from mid October to just two weeks ago.

I used Superior Dry Lager yeast. 53-67'F Everything has been tasting quite smooth so far, not fruity. Used the basement....fermented them like ales. Just did it slightly cooler.

I do the following;

Primary - 3 weeks
2ndary - 2 to 4 weeks
Bottle carb - 2 weeks.
Cold Bottle Condition: 6 to 8 weeks at 44F​

I also have a dedicated beer fridge. I will never take the drinking supply out for a carboy.

This worked well. This same strain can be used for steamers up to 75'F.

Forgot to say this, try to stick between 47-65. Its ale time now. Starting with Nottingham (57-70F)

Latest posts

Back