Is 75% efficiency the norm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed a wheat with 5.5 2 row and 4.5 wheat and only hit 66%. WTH

Wheat kernels are smaller and harder than barley so if the mill wasn't readjusted to account for that it will give you poorer efficiency.

I had them triple crush it but they do not change the setting on the mill.

If the wheat is smaller, my guess is that a triple crush wouldn't help?

I usually plan for 71% but I have noticed that I get better efficiency if I mash longer. I've since started doing 90 minute mashes.

81%
8 lbs German Pilsner
5 lbs American wheat
Single BrewChatter (LHS in Sparks, no) house crush
11 gallons water
155f mash for 60 minutes dropped to 150
Mash out at 166F increased to 174 over 10 minutes
10 gallons of Berliner Weiss 1.040 OG last I checked around 75-80F. I went by feel in my hand not temp.

75 is a good number and is what Im shooting for in my first three batches ive gotten 65 in the first two and 70 in my last batch and I stirred a lot more on my last batch and did a 90 min mash. The only thing I havent done yet is squeeze the bag.

The only thing I havent done yet is squeeze the bag.

Lots of debate on this, but I haven't found any cases where I have squeezed the bag and gotten additional gravity points. You may just want to take some measurements for your own brewing process to see if it adds any value.

Just curious are you guys testing with iodine to see if conversion is complete? Sometimes I feel like if I left my mash longer and longer I would get better eff.

I ended up hitting about 82-85% with my corona mill on its inagural spin. I was planning on 75% for my Mild, so it ended up being about 1.044OG instead of 1.040OG. I topped my pot with as much water as it could hold, but I think I only got it down to 1.042OG. Which is probably good that I added a bit more volume, and the slightly higher OG.

Because I accidently did my hop additions pre-boil, at 60 minutes, at 30 minutes and at flame out. I had intended to do 60 minute, 30 minute, 10 minute and flame out. But I did pre-boil and then forgot that I needed to wait till 30 minutes. So my IBU went from around 32-34IBU up to more like 45-48IBU. Kind of pushing an English light IPA or something (too dark for that though). Fingers crossed.

Back