Is 29 quarts too small for a 5 gallon BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmtonkin

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 29 quart pot for my propane burner, and now I'm wondering if that is going to be large enough for a 5 gallon BIAB batch.

For those who have used the BIAB, what are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It'll work for your average brews with 60 minute boils, but for bigger grain bills and most 90 min boils, you'll need to do a sparge.

The general wisdom is to go 2 times your batch size, and perhaps a little more.

I do 3.5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon pot. To get away with it I have to sparge to get up to pre-boil volume, otherwise the grains + water will not fit. My limiting factor is really pre-boil volume. I start my boil with 4.25 gallons of wort and boil down to 3.5. I am really pushing it when I do it this way (I push the edge on boilover), and plan to up size soon.

i have an 8 gal pot and i normally fight with boilover everytime (and lose) and just this last time i managed to hit 5.25gal in my ferm. thats the one thing i would do over again and go with a 10 gal pot for 5 gal batches.

Bummer. Well, it's already ordered, and should be here tomorrow. I guess that is a justifying factor in my debate to start brewing 3 gallon batches.

I don't drink the beer very quickly (I think I enjoy actually brewing more than the drinking of it), and the three gallon batches will let me try multiple varieties and recipes for a lot cheaper!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back