Irritating spouses blending your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You know how we all have irritating habits? Well, one of mine is that I'm sort of a "style guru" on beer. Oh, experimentation is a good thing for others- but when I make a beer style, that's what it is. I don't make a Belgian Nut Brown, for example! I know, I know- You will all say things like, "It's your beer- make what you like! Experiment!" etc. I say, "No. I know what I like."

So, my husband is beginning to love the hops. Gradually he's telling me that maibocks are too sweet and malty, and he is looking for good APAs. And for the last few months, he "mixes" my tap beer. Kind of like when we were kids, and used to get a rainbow snowcone. Anyway, he usually pours an amber and then tops off with an IPA. Or some other combo.

Tonight he's got a blonde with a shot of IPA. Well, he convinced me to try it. And I'll admit it to you- but not to him, it's GOOD!

So much for my style nazi-ism. I'm drinking a blonde IPA. And I like it.

Hello, my name is Yooper and I am capable of being flexible.

(with beer styles, you perverts):p

LOL! How on earth did you know that I'm double jointed? Even the girls in my yoga class ooh and ahhh when I put my legs around my ears.
:D

Oh, beer styles. Yes. Flexible.

You know how we all have irritating habits? Well, one of mine is that I'm sort of a "style guru" on beer. Oh, experimentation is a good thing for others- but when I make a beer style, that's what it is. I don't make a Belgian Nut Brown, for example! I know, I know- You will all say things like, "It's your beer- make what you like! Experiment!" etc. I say, "No. I know what I like."

So, my husband is beginning to love the hops. Gradually he's telling me that maibocks are too sweet and malty, and he is looking for good APAs. And for the last few months, he "mixes" my tap beer. Kind of like when we were kids, and used to get a rainbow snowcone. Anyway, he usually pours an amber and then tops off with an IPA. Or some other combo.

Tonight he's got a blonde with a shot of IPA. Well, he convinced me to try it. And I'll admit it to you- but not to him, it's GOOD!

So much for my style nazi-ism. I'm drinking a blonde IPA. And I like it.

Yooper, I'm the exact same way. And if I had a spouse that could drink my beer (she's celiac) and she did that, I would probably tackle her as her hand moved over to the second tap.:cross:

Yooper, I'm the exact same way. And if I had a spouse that could drink my beer (she's celiac) and she did that, I would probably tackle her as her hand moved over to the second tap.:cross:

I'm so glad you understand! I say, "Bob. That is a very nice blonde ale. It's crisp, clear, and understated. It's fermented cool, and then cold conditioned for weeks. The hops are German in origin-almost like a German lager. But yet, it's an ale, and has just a hint of fruitiness but can be confused with a lager" He says, "Yep. All it needs is some hops!" as he opens the second (or even third) tap. ARGGGH!

This just reinforces my opinion that people who don't' like hops, just haven't had enough of them yet!

They all come around eventually.

And we always have Post #3409! ;)

After aging a HUGE, underhopped RIS, I ended up with a beer too sweet for my 'bud's.
Mixed 12oz of the stout with 3 ounces of Stone Levitation, and I swear I heard angels sing!

My name is Eric, and I am a beer mixer...

Oh, and I had to drink 4 stouts... I didn't want to waste the Levitation ;)

ya know... it's so frigging annoying when a spouse has the friggin GALL to be right when they should be wrong. How dare they! I hate when my wife does that...

ya know... it's so frigging annoying when a spouse has the friggin GALL to be right when they should be wrong. How dare they! I hate when my wife does that...

Then they sing that annoying "I'm right. I'm right. Who's wrong. You are." song.

Mixing beer with beer is not so bad when you know people that mix it with soda.

When I saw the title I thought it would be more like this

A woman is standing nude, looking in the bedroom mirror.
She is not happy with what she sees and says to her husband, 'I feel horrible; I look old, fat and ugly.
I really need you to pay me a compliment.'

The husband replies, 'Your eyesight's damn near perfect..'

This isn't aimed at you Yoop, just thought it would add a little humor

I often tone down an IPA when I want the flavor but not the ABV, or tune up an APA, when I want more hops-it's not blasphemy, it's art.

For a couple of weeks I was topping off my Bavarian Hefeweizen with a Roggenbier. Kind of a wheat/rye black and tan. Finally just combined the kegs.

Don't remember the thread... I really liked the names. :p

Black & Tans;

Guinness & Pabst - Pabst Smear

Guinness & Hoegaarten - Black Ho.

Don't know how'd they taste.

This is my new favorite thing to do is to blend beers. It's like a parlor trick that I do to friends at bars now. Oh and at beer fests too. I used to dump a cloying beer but now I go back and mix a bitter beer I had earlier to fix it. At NHC I blended an ubersweet tasty Oreo Porter (yep full on oreo) with an Orange Pale Ale. ****ing fantastic. I swear. I will not do this in your home to your homebrew (unless you ask).

A few of my best beers have been blends. It is an art, but one that takes very little practice. I only blend beers that I'm not happy with, all have become better beers thanks to the blend. I also keep a "blend keg" where I put the remaining beer of each batch that wont fit in the first keg. I have never had anyone tell me they didn't like it.

Cider and lager, in student bars in the UK at least, is called a snakebite. Often times, blackcurrant cordial is added to hide the ensuing cloudiness.

I posed the question about mixing beer in a recent Tweet.

Before I kicked the keg, I was mixing my California Common with my Red Rye Ale. Just a bit of the red made for a good beer.

I posed the question about mixing beer in a recent Tweet.

Before I kicked the keg, I was mixing my California Common with my Red Rye Ale. Just a bit of the red made for a good beer.

Well, since the blonde IPA was so good, I'm becoming more open to it. I'll even let ollllllo do it at my house if he wants to.

So, today I have: blonde, California common, Arrogant Bastard, American IPA and AAA on tap. I could make a California Bastard! An Arrogant Blonde. A Common blonde. An Amber IPA. The sky is the limit!

Or..........I can just drink the beers like I planned. Change is hard for old people.

Legs, the only thing besides perfume that a woman can put behind her ears to make her more attractive to men.

"I'm gonna make her look like Bugs F*&%@$ Bunny!"

Ok, I stole that and maybe messed it up some but always thought it too funny. It is an image in your mind thing. Anderw Dice Clay I believe, like 20 years ago.

"I'm gonna make her look like Bugs F*&%@$ Bunny!"

Ok, I stole that and maybe messed it up some but always thought it too funny. It is an image in your mind thing. Anderw Dice Clay I believe, like 20 years ago.

This thread seems to be headed south :cross:

Do I smell a Corona mixed with donkey piss? I said south right?

Seriously though I may have to try this, first thing is to make sure the Pliny the Elder I have waiting is still fresh though.

This thread seems to be headed south :cross:

Do I smell a Corona mixed with donkey piss? I said south right?

Seriously though I may have to try this, first thing is to make sure the Pliny the Elder I have waiting is still fresh though.

Hey, I didn't start it.

It's one thing to mix beers. There is a long tradition behind it. Bastard styles are totally different.

Back