Irregardless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seabee John said:
First of all, it's not "for all intensive purposes" It's for all "INTENTS and PURPOSE" meaning for the intention of ... and purpose of... AKA "I meant to do that!" intensive means something completely different.

Learn the language first...speak second!

Thank you very much....
Elvis has left the building

Uh ... John? You do know that we understand that it's not "intensive purposes," right? That we were using it to point out that's it's incorrect? It kinda sounded like that was directed at us. Just curious.

Also, it's "intents and purposeS," plural. And it has nothing to do with "for the intention of" or "I meant to do that." It means in every practical sense, e.g. "Corona may not actually be horse urine, but it is, for all intents and purposes, the same thing."

I'm just sayin'... :mug:

e lo said:
Uh ... John? You do know that we understand that it's not "intensive purposes," right? That we were using it to point out that's it's incorrect? It kinda sounded like that was directed at us. Just curious.

Also, it's "intents and purposeS," plural. And it has nothing to do with "for the intention of" or "I meant to do that." It means in every practical sense, e.g. "Corona may not actually be horse urine, but it is, for all intents and purposes, the same thing."

I'm just sayin'... :mug:

Yeah, what he said:D

Ahh, this is fun. If I wasn't so drunk, I could toss around some of the interesting phrases I hear all day at the Harley shop. I'll have to keep a notepad handy tomorrow. Even worse, SWMBO, the managing editor of a newspaper, throws out at least on grammatical error or mispronunciation per conversation. She writes perfectly though.
My biggest pet peeve is misspellings on business billboards or marque signs. Damn that pisses me off.
If someone is about to flame me for grammatical errors in this post, please read sentence 2.

Yeah, so I was at the local Rugby Union Club a few years ago, sitting at a table with a few other intoxicated people, when I hear someone speaking (loudly) at the next table behind me... I didn't hear the preceding sentence, of what this was in reference to, but I DID hear this load and clear...

"Well, I'm no rock scientist, but...."

I wasn't the only one who heard it, and the whole table got a good laugh.

"I could care less!" That's a good one. If the speaker could care less, he must care at least a little. I COULDN'T care less!

Indeed Mensch.

And Pete, I do not doubt that the person you heard was drunk or stupid or both, but I myself (and I guess I will leave it to the judgement of others, but I am pretty damn sure that I am not stupid) have been heard to say "...but, that train has sailed"... or: "It Aint Rocket Surgery".

I say the first because I am quoting Austin Powers and I think it was hilarious, and the second just because it is funny.

I do usually give everyone present a little look or a wink to make sure I am not being taken seriously, however.

cheezydemon said:
"It Aint Rocket Surgery".

That's classic! I love mixing up cliches and saying them all seriously... sort of Naked Gun-type humor. For those "well, you know what they say"-type moments. I had a whole bunch of them, like:
"a penny saved is worth two in the bush"
"eh... six one way, baker's dozen the other"
"don't put all your eggs in a bucket"
This one is from one of the Naked Guns:
"well, well... the cow's have come home to roost!"

menschmaschine said:
That's classic! I love mixing up cliches and saying them all seriously... sort of Naked Gun-type humor. For those "well, you know what they say"-type moments. I had a whole bunch of them, like:

I've always liked: does the Pope **** in the woods?

menschmaschine said:

I'm a poet and didn't realize I was one.

The word I hate most is "impacted".

You can have an impacted wisdom tooth.

But to say something was impacted by something else is incorrect usage, unless a linking verb is used.
i.e. Something can 'have an impact' on something else.

Its used wrong so often, that language rules are changing to allow it. (Somewhat like ir-regardless being a non-standard, but allowable form of regardless)

Since there is a nice rant going on, I may actually choke the next person who speaks the word supposably instead of supposedly! Oh how I hate that!

Air Pirate said:
i always thought it was funny to hear someone say "utilize"

....how is that different from "use"?

It's not; the discrepancy here is that use and utilize are interchangeable accepted. "Irregardless" is a bastardized, improper, form of regardless.

Cache
is another world that comes to mind that is mispronounced as the nonword caché by about half the people I hear say it. Think of it this way: cache = stash in both end pronunciation and meaning....not to be confused with 'stache. :D

Brew Runner said:
It's not; the discrepancy here is that use and utilize are interchangeable accepted. "Irregardless" is a bastardized, improper, form of regardless.

Cache
is another world that comes to mind that is mispronounced as the nonword caché by about half the people I hear say it. Think of it this way: cache = stash in both end pronunciation and meaning....not to be confused with 'stache. :D

Caché is not a nonword. You just spelled it wrong. "Cachet". It has a meaning.

So what exactly are you people proposing? Eliminating all unnecessary words? Ever read 1984? :rolleyes:

Thanks for pointing that out. Sorry I didn't have time to go through 10 pages of posts. I'm still learning, but I'll try to do better next time.

Sir Humpsalot said:
Caché is not a nonword. You just spelled it wrong. "Cachet". It has a meaning.

Indeed it does. Your cachet as a linguist has just risen in my eyes.:mug:

EvilTOJ said:
I already pointed that out earlier, mensch. You should of read the thread more thoroughly.

That is a little harsh. He did qualify it with "I just saw this thread"

I didn't read all 465 pages of the apfelwein thread when I posted on there.

Alright, I have to get into this now with a couple of my peeves. :)

"Momentarily" means "for a moment," not "in a moment." When you say, " I will return momentarily," you said that you will return, but only for a moment.

On the cliche front, when you feel like you are unecessary or even unwanted, you feel like a "fifth wheel," not a "third wheel." Usually, third wheels add stability and navigability. Often, fifth wheels live in the trunk.

And, please, for crying out loud, please stop with all the "I think," "in my opinion," and the like when making an argument. Those phrases are fine when you want to express your preference, the fact that you do not have a strong position, or you are just speaking casually. However, if you do not feel strongly enough about an argument to simply state it, then you should rethink it before letting it out. On the other hand, if you believe that anyone cares more about your argument because you were so clear that it was, in fact, your argument, you are just wrong.

On apostrophes, plurals, and possessives:

Apostrophes are never approproprite for a simple plural noun, e.g., "I went looking at car's, last night."

If a singular, possessive noun end with an "s," an apostrophe-s is appropriate, e.g., "Texas's state flower is the bluebonnet." Yes, I am aware that nearly noone follows that rule anymore, and that even style guides have come to say that a mere apostrophe is acceptable, but that is merely the case of the rules giving in to the poor usage, just like finding "irregardless" in the dictionary. Ending merely with an apostrophe often leaves the reader or, much more often, the listener wondering if the noun is plural or singular.

Finally, here is one that is not so much a peeve for me as an FYI for everyone else. If you have an example that illustrates your statement very well, you have a "case on point," rather than a "case in point." Talk to anyone that has done any legal research or ever argued before a court about that one. :)

TL

And, I bet I start using "rocket surgery" enough to drive everyone around me stark, raving mad.

TexLaw said:
"Momentarily" means "for a moment," not "in a moment." When you say, " I will return momentarily," you said that you will return, but only for a moment.

Another time on which bothers me is when people say 'Within the hour' meaning within an hour. Within THE hour means by the end of the current hour on the clock.

I also hate the orientate/orient hack and I orient things all-day everyday at my job...

At least I can enjoy brewing beer while I still have all my facilities!

:D

I should advise all of you to NEVER come to Hawaii. After several months of working in a hardware store here, I am appalled by the things (or should I say "tings") that come out of my mouth:

"Eh, you stay waiting for 'un propane fill? (spoken as if a statement, rather than a question) ...I get 'um for ya, back ina few minutes, yeah?"

customer: "I stay looking for dakine, you guys no-mo dat?"
me (after determining what dakine is): "yeah, we get dat ova here, come, I show you."

It is hard not to pick up a dialect when you are immersed in it, but thankfully I still have a pretty solid grasp on my own language and can show it if needed.

TexLaw said:
And, please, for crying out loud, please stop with all the "I think," "in my opinion," and the like when making an argument. Those phrases are fine when you want to express your preference, the fact that you do not have a strong position, or you are just speaking casually. However, if you do not feel strongly enough about an argument to simply state it, then you should rethink it before letting it out. On the other hand, if you believe that anyone cares more about your argument because you were so clear that it was, in fact, your argument, you are just wrong.
This argument is wrong IMNSMFHO :p

jarrid said:
I should advise all of you to NEVER come to Hawaii. After several months of working in a hardware store here, I am appalled by the things (or should I say "tings") that come out of my mouth:

"Eh, you stay waiting for 'un propane fill? (spoken as if a statement, rather than a question) ...I get 'um for ya, back ina few minutes, yeah?"

me (after determining what dakine is): "yeah, we get dat ova here, come, I show you."

It is hard not to pick up a dialect when you are immersed in it, but thankfully I still have a pretty solid grasp on my own language and can show it if needed.

Ha! I lived there for four years.

"Like you try some"?

jarrid said:

dakine is one of the greatest words ever. XD its just so... dekine.

Two more:

What the hell is the current tendency to refer to "back in the day"? Gripes me hearing some teenager or twenty-something talk about something that was a current event in my youth as if it were ancient history.

My kids (and others) are always saying "on accident". The correct version is "by accident", not to be confused with "on purpose".

TexLaw said:
If you have an example that illustrates your statement very well, you have a "case on point," rather than a "case in point." Talk to anyone that has done any legal research or ever argued before a court about that one. :)
I've never heard this before. I've only ever heard "case in point." Google agrees with me:
http://www.google.com/search?q=case+on+point

menschmaschine said:
I forgot about this one (I see it alot on here, so no offence)... "should of"... it's "should have"!

Sorry mensch, I was trying to make a joke. See, I said you 'should of' instead of 'should have' but no one picked up on it. I wasn't trying to break your balls about it, honest!

beala said:
I've never heard this before. I've only ever heard "case in point." Google agrees with me:
http://www.google.com/search?q=case+on+point

It's an example of an incorrect usage becoming the actual idiom and swallowing the correct one, except for the actual source of the phrase. Not that I depend on Google to teach me anything proper when it comes to language, but circumventing Google's autocorrection function provides [ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22case+on+point%22"]these results[/ame], which illustrate my point. The first result is on the second page of your search results, as well.

TL

Heh, Roger Clemens did a fine job contributing to this thread... remotely!!

EDIT; thread drift/new game: Let's rephrase RC's testimony with what we have in the thread (can we sneak "dakine" in, somehow?)

EvilTOJ said:
Sorry mensch, I was trying to make a joke. See, I said you 'should of' instead of 'should have' but no one picked up on it. I wasn't trying to break your balls about it, honest!

Wow, that went right over my head. The irony here is incredible! No big.

EvilTOJ said:
i picked up on it, but didn't know where he was trying to go with it :D

i'm no linguisisist or anything, but there is no "should of"

"should of" comes from people that have heard "should've" and didn't know what it dun come from

Back