Irish Red Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VermVerm

Reaction score
I made an Irish Red this past summer. Its been in the keg for 3 months now. Its aging at room temp. Taste is ok, but not there yet. Aroma is most easily described as not finished. It just doesn't smell right yet. As this is my first Red I was wondering if this is a unique sensation to my brew or if it takes a while for this beer to come together?

Add your thoughts please.

Verm

3 months is a real long time, especially for an Irish red. Typical regular gravity ales should be ready to go in a month or so and be very good at around 2-3. However nothing is absolute. What was the recipe? Would you say the beer has been getting better with each taste?

Hop aroma mellows with age, it doesn't strengthen. If you're not sure you're getting enough hop aroma, it's possible your brew is ready but not what you planned.

If the flavour you're getting is astringent or overly bitter it's possible it was fermented too high, infected or not hopped correctly.

I've got an Irish Red that tastes TOO hoppy, my problem was comparing it to an Irish Red lager, not an ale.

Iordz said:
3 months is a real long time, especially for an Irish red. Typical regular gravity ales should be ready to go in a month or so and be very good at around 2-3. However nothing is absolute. What was the recipe? Would you say the beer has been getting better with each taste?

71.9 16.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
11.2 2.50 lbs. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10
9.0 2.00 lbs. Crystal 80L 1.033 80
6.7 1.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
1.2 0.26 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 11.4 60 min.
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 10.8 45 min.

Wow, is this a 10gal recipe? If it's a 5gal recipe then I see why you are aging it for this long, it would be a very strong beer.

Iordz said:
Wow, is this a 10gal recipe? If it's a 5gal recipe then I see why you are aging it for this long, it would be a very strong beer.

lol
It is 10 Gallons of brew.

I don't think it is infected because it has improved steadily and is very drinkable. Its just not good, its very ok.

Ok, now it makes sense!
That's strange, but every brew is different, maybe you just gotta give it a little longer.

after 3 months, i think your aroma is "donie" ...if anything it may weaken as the hops continue to mellow.

malkore said:
after 3 months, i think your aroma is "donie" ...if anything it may weaken as the hops continue to mellow.
I think its possible that I brewed a beer that I am just not fond of. I guess that is what my friends who will drink anything is for.

I took the beer to a local beer shop. Infected! I have made 30 brews and this is the first infection. Cried and poured it back to mother earth. Then I made a hefe to replenish! Don't rinse after disinfecting if you have well water post boil...thats the only thing I can think happened.
Happy Brewing folks!
Verm

Back