Irish Moss - when - how much - particle size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheUKbrewer2

Reaction score
I used to add in last 20 minutes, but read somewhere on here that 15 minutes was better. I use a heaped teaspoon per 22 litres. Recently I started pre-soaking in hot water and cutting the particles with scissors. I think - but am not certain, that clarity of finished beer has improved. Would like some of you to share your kettle finings details, and expect that some of you use other finings, or none.

I do 11 gallons to the fermentors, and pre-dissolve a full teaspoon of IM in a measuring cup of water, microwaving it just to the beginning of a boil multiple times as the brew day progresses. By the time I add it to the kettle with 5 minutes left in the boil there's around a half cup of clear-ish goo with nearly all the leaf bits fully dissolved...

Cheers!

Intrigued. I've always just dropped the dry stuff in at 15 minutes to end of boil (when I'm out of whirlfloc tabs, that is; I bought a pound of them on amazon a month or so ago and I might run out in about 2 years).

I always dropped the dry IM into the boil with 15 minutes left, then read that fully dissolving the IM improves effectivity, which makes sense as solid IM flakes aren't going to be active. As I had always found some solid IM flakes in the settled trub after lautering to fermentors I gave the microwaving technique a try...

Cheers!

@bobtheUKbrewer2

If you want finer irish moss particles why not just put them in a coffee mill?

I just sprinkle the IM in at about 15 minutes from flameout.

My ignorance is bliss approach about solid flakes in the trub because I don't QC the trub.

I tried IM in my battery powered salt mill (all I have), it was totally ineffective. Will try microwave approach. Thanks all.

Nowadays I stay away from Irish Moss, some time ago I tried to dissolve IM in water before I added it to the boil... but that smell discouraged me from adding it to the brew and I've never wanted to use it since. A nauseating strong smell of sea and sea weed.

I moved to using the Whirlfloc tablets some time ago. Easier to use, no measuring needed and does a great job. I drop one, or two (depends on batch size) into the boil at the 15 minute mark. Get great protein break as a result. This reminds me that I should pick up another package from the LHBS (planning to go later today). ;)

Back