Ipad 2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
I need some advice from you tech savvy HBTers. Long story short, my HP laptop (2 years old) took a crap on me last night. HP told me I would need to replace some part and reload windows. I had a buddy of mine give me an excellent quote on labor, but I'm having trouble justifying spending almost 200 bucks on a 2 year old laptop that only cost me 400. The wife has been pressing for an iPad for some time now and I'm thinking this may be the best time. I have a desktop that I can do regular work on if need be, so the iPad will really be for surfing the web on the couch and whatnot. I'm also unsure of what size to get, the 2 comes in 16 gb and 64 gb. The 64 gb is $100 bucks more.

To be honest I am unsure of what to do, so I'm just looking for any all advice. :fro:

I am not an ipad fan but got a good amount gift card last year and paid the rest myself and got the ipad2, 64gb. I do use if for work so the extra space was good. However, I'm told you can still get the ipad2 since the 3 (sorry, the latest version) is out. Only main difference is the screen which I admit, looks awesome but for reading books, browsing and such, the ipad 2 is great. But, at least get the 32 GB version if you don't want to spring for 64GB.

Finally, I got my son an ASUS laptop at Best Buy for just over $400. It's lightweight, fast and had a 750GB hard drive in it. 2 year warranty as well. It's bigger than an ipda but not bad at all.
Just sayin'.

I need some advice from you tech savvy HBTers. Long story short, my HP laptop (2 years old) took a crap on me last night. HP told me I would need to replace some part and reload windows. I had a buddy of mine give me an excellent quote on labor, but I'm having trouble justifying spending almost 200 bucks on a 2 year old laptop that only cost me 400. The wife has been pressing for an iPad for some time now and I'm thinking this may be the best time. I have a desktop that I can do regular work on if need be, so the iPad will really be for surfing the web on the couch and whatnot. I'm also unsure of what size to get, the 2 comes in 16 gb and 64 gb. The 64 gb is $100 bucks more.

To be honest I am unsure of what to do, so I'm just looking for any all advice. :fro:

HP is garbage. Not worth fixing. iPads are nice, but only good for browsing. But like you said, that's all you want to do. I haven't heard many good things from the iPad3. If it were me, I would craigslist a used iPad2. I have looked and you can get one for under 300. However I wouldn't buy it from a kid, but an adult that way you know it hasn't been mistreated. Or you could just buy a new one with warranty.

Reading books on tablets are great in my opinion. Browsing is easy, some apps are useful (HBT app), etc. I doubt you would need more than 16 gigs. Unless you plan to put large quantities of music and movies on it. But why would you? Pandora for music, netflix for movies and tv......

I picked up an 16 Gig ipad 2 for my wife for mother's day this year. She doesn't go anywhere without it. I think I paid $299 plus a 3 year protection plan(worth it for her). If you can look at Apple's website, they have refurbished Ipads on there for pretty decent prices. If I had more time I would have bought one from there instead of in the store. If all your doing is browsing the web, facebook, email, and playing games its really a great way to go. If that's all your doing with it, a 16 Gig is all you'll need.

For me I'm looking at the new Google Nexus 7, $200... android, and is apparently really fast. Down side is that's for the 8 Gig version, and there is no external memory. For me I'll just use my dropbox for that.

thanks everyone for the input. I'm thinking of sticking with the iPad 2 for now. I don't download music or movies. Our laptop was purchased originally for me to do grad school work on, so now that I'm done with grad school it was really just an email/internet device. Krieger, thanks for mentioning the apple referb site, I found some stuff on there that is pretty dang cheap, plus free shipping! Right now it looks like all of the options have the 3G, which I don't really need, but i'll keep checking it.

Latest posts

Back