IPA v DIPA v TIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstcstnative

Reaction score
What really is the difference between an IPA, a double IPA and a triple IPA? Where do you draw the line? I've had IPA's in the high 5% to low 6% range and triple IPA's in the low 9% range and higher, so where do you draw the line for a double? Anywhere in between? Is there an exact definition somewhere?

And what about IBU's...how do those line up with the single/double/triple designation? Thanks in advance!

Based on the BJCP guide it should answer your questions. Although there is no "Triple IPA" listed. I'm not posting this to be rude, but the BJCP guidelines have been very helpful to me.

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

21A. American IPA
Overall Impression: A decidedly hoppy and bitter, moderately strong American pale ale, showcasing modern American or New World hop varieties. The balance is hop- forward, with a clean fermentation profile, dryish finish, and clean, supporting malt allowing a creative range of hop character to shine through.
Aroma: A prominent to intense hop aroma featuring one or more characteristics of American or New World hops, such as citrus, floral, pine, resinous, spicy, tropical fruit, stone fruit, berry, melon, etc. Many versions are dry hopped and can have an additional fresh hop aroma; this is desirable but not required. Grassiness should be minimal, if present. A low to medium-low clean, grainy-malty aroma may be found in the background. Fruitiness from yeast may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is also acceptable. A restrained alcohol note may be present, but this character should be minimal at best. Any American or New World hop character is acceptable; new hop varieties continue to be released and should not constrain this style. Appearance: Color ranges from medium gold to light reddish-amber. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry- hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Medium-sized, white to off- white head with good persistence.
Flavor: Hop flavor is medium to very high, and should reflect an American or New World hop character, such as citrus, floral, pine, resinous, spicy, tropical fruit, stone fruit, berry, melon, etc. Medium-high to very high hop bitterness. Malt flavor should be low to medium-low, and is generally clean and
grainy-malty although some light caramel or toasty flavors are acceptable. Low yeast-derived fruitiness is acceptable but not required. Dry to medium-dry finish; residual sweetness should be low to none. The bitterness and hop flavor may linger into the aftertaste but should not be harsh. A very light, clean alcohol flavor may be noted in stronger versions. May be slightly sulfury, but most examples do not exhibit this character.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, with a smooth texture. Medium to medium-high carbonation. No harsh hop- derived astringency. Very light, smooth alcohol warming not a fault if it does not intrude into overall balance.
Comments: A modern American craft beer interpretation of the historical English style, brewed using American ingredients and attitude. The basis for many modern variations, including the stronger Double IPA as well as IPAs with various other ingredients. Those other IPAs should generally be entered in the Specialty IPA style. Oak is inappropriate in this style; if noticeably oaked, enter in wood-aged category.
History: The first modern American craft beer example is generally believed to be Anchor Liberty Ale, first brewed in 1975 and using whole Cascade hops; the style has pushed beyond that original beer, which now tastes more like an American Pale Ale in comparison. American-made IPAs from earlier eras were not unknown (particularly the well-regarded Ballantine’s IPA, an oak-aged beer using an old English recipe). This style is based on the modern craft beer examples. Characteristic Ingredients: Pale ale or 2-row brewers malt as the base, American or New World hops, American or English yeast with a clean or slightly fruity profile. Generally all-malt, but mashed at lower temperatures for high attenuation. Sugar additions to aid attenuation are acceptable. Restrained use of crystal malts, if any, as high amounts can lead to a sweet finish and clash with the hop character.
Style Comparison: Stronger and more highly hopped than an American Pale Ale. Compared to an English IPA, has less of the “English” character from malt, hops, and yeast (less caramel, bread, and toast; more American/New World hops than English; less yeast-derived esters), less body, and often has a more hoppy balance and is slightly stronger than most examples. Less alcohol than a Double IPA, but with a similar balance.
Vital Statistics:
IBUs: 40 – 70
SRM: 6 – 14
OG: 1.056 – 1.070
FG: 1.008 – 1.014
ABV: 5.5 - 7.5%
Commercial Examples: Alpine Duet, Bell’s Two-Hearted Ale, Fat Heads Head Hunter IPA, Firestone Walker Union Jack, Lagunitas IPA, Russian River Blind Pig IPA, Stone IPA Tags: high-strength, pale-color, top-fermented, north- america, craft-style, ipa-family, bitter, hoppy

22A. Double IPA
Overall Impression: An intensely hoppy, fairly strong pale ale without the big, rich, complex maltiness and residual sweetness and body of an American barleywine. Strongly hopped, but clean, dry, and lacking harshness. Drinkability is an important characteristic; this should not be a heavy, sipping beer.
Aroma: A prominent to intense hop aroma that typically showcases American or New World hop characteristics (citrus, floral, pine, resinous, spicy, tropical fruit, stone fruit, berry, melon, etc.). Most versions are dry hopped and can have an additional resinous or grassy aroma, although this is not absolutely required. Some clean malty sweetness may be found in the background. Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is typical. Some alcohol can usually be noted, but it should not have a “hot” character.
Appearance: Color ranges from golden to light orange- copper; most modern versions are fairly pale. Good clarity, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Moderate-sized, persistent, white to off-white head.
Flavor: Hop flavor is strong and complex, and can reflect the characteristics of modern American or New World hop varieties (citrus, floral, pine, resinous, spicy, tropical fruit, stone fruit, berry, melon, etc.). High to absurdly high hop bitterness. Low to medium malt flavor, generally clean and grainy-malty although low levels of caramel or toasty flavors are acceptable. Low to medium fruitiness is acceptable but not required. A long, lingering bitterness is usually present in the aftertaste but should not be harsh. Dry to medium-dry finish; should not finish sweet or heavy. A light, clean, smooth alcohol flavor is not a fault. Oak is inappropriate in this style. May be slightly sulfury, but most examples do not exhibit this character.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, with a smooth texture. Medium to medium-high carbonation. No harsh hop- derived astringency. Restrained, smooth alcohol warming acceptable.
Comments: A showcase for hops, yet remaining quite drinkable. The adjective “double" is arbitrary and simply implies a stronger version of an IPA; “imperial,” “extra,” “extreme,” or any other variety of adjectives would be equally valid, although the modern American market seems to have now coalesced around the “double” term.
History: An American craft beer innovation first developed in the mid-late 1990s reflecting the trend of American craft brewers “pushing the envelope” to satisfy the need of hop aficionados for increasingly intense products. Became more mainstream and popular throughout the 2000s, and inspired additional IPA creativity.
Characteristic Ingredients: Clean 2-row malt is typical as a base grain; an excessively complex grist can be distracting. Crystal-type malts often muddy the hop flavors, and are generally considered undesirable in significant quantities. Sugar or other highly fermentable adjuncts are often used to increase attenuation, as are lower-temperature mash rests. Can use a complex variety of hops, typically American or New World, often with cutting-edge profiles providing distinctive
differences. Modern hops with unusual characteristics are not out of style. American yeast that can give a clean or slightly fruity profile.
Style Comparison: Bigger than either an English or American IPA in both alcohol strength and overall hop level (bittering and finish). Less malty, lower body, less rich and a greater overall hop intensity than an American Barleywine. Typically not as high in gravity/alcohol as a barleywine, since high alcohol and malt tend to limit drinkability.
Vital Statistics:
IBUs: 60 – 120
SRM: 6 – 14
OG: 1.065 – 1.085
FG: 1.008 – 1.018
ABV: 7.5 - 10.0%
Commercial Examples: Avery Maharaja, Fat Heads Hop Juju, Firestone Walker Double Jack, Port Brewing Hop 15, Russian River Pliny the Elder, Stone Ruination IPA, Three Floyds Dreadnaught
Tags: very-high-strength, pale-color, top-fermented, north- america, craft-style, ipa-family, bitter, hoppy

Last edited:
One taste bad, one taste terrible, and one is unbearably disgusting. Minor, but notable. lol

One taste bad, one taste terrible, and one is unbearably disgusting. Minor, but notable. lol

In your opinion..

The lines of all the IPAs get blurred in reality.

Going general rather than BJCP - each one is progressively higher in alcohol content and is usually more hoppy both IBU and flavor/aroma also.

In your opinion..

Going general rather than BJCP - each one is progressively higher in alcohol content and is usually more hoppy both IBU and flavor/aroma also.

yeah, makes sense. i actually met the brewer at one of my favorite breweries and he said most of it is marketing...with the same beer, what name do they think they'll sell more of and then go with that one. i'm sure they want to stay somewhat true to the BJCP, but also want to sell lots of beer

In your opinion..

Sometimes lines and vision get blurred... if you have a few DIIPA's :)

The Best TIPA I have had is https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/troubadour-magma/119255/ . They make a few, but excellent beers.

Very malty, subtle Belgian yeast tones and mild to medium hops. Easy going.

But as stated above, the lines get blurry with al these IPA styles. But I like malty beer, I like belgian beer, IPAs and high IBUs, so this Magma and other similar examples are something I was look for.

In my little world there is a single and double IPA, no session or triple and if you don't know next up is a barley wine which I have yet to brew.

I think the line between a regular IPA and Double IPA is reasonably clear, especially when IPAs I make tend to be between 6-7% and Double IPAs would be 8%+, plus I add more hops. Not sure I'd ever really call something a Triple IPA, but if I did the ABV would probably be outside the norm for a Double IPA, like 11%+.

I know there is no real triple category, but I tend to think of something over 10% as a triple. Although at that point it basically tastes like a hoppier barley wine.

Back