Ipa stuck at 1.030 help me plz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebastien

Reaction score
I transferred my ipa in the secondary fermenter after 14 days added my dry hop and now just realized my Gravity was 1.030 and it's supposed to be at 1.017. Beer fermented at 62-66 and yeast I used was Denny's favourite 50 do you think it will ferment a bit more in the secondary or I'm ****ed ??
Normally fermentation of my ipa always hit the recommended FG in 2 weeks but not this time. Maybe I fermented low and didn't let it sit enough

Btw I still have the old trub in my primary maybe I can use it

Help me :S
Thanks

If you have more yeast, or access to more yeast I would pitch again. I have only had one stuck fermentation and the only thing that would bring it down was more yeast. I have only had that problem once because after that I went to using starters. If you can't do starters use a yeast calculator and you can always pitch more packages of yeast.

No the beer is not a loss. If it is going to be awhile before you can pitch the yeast (i.e. you have to order it) you can order some more hops to compensate for the volatile compounds you will lose while waiting. If you do add more dry hops wait until you reach final gravity. Repitching will create more CO2 and carry away hop aroma.

Its gonna take a while to get my yeast shipped here:S maybe I should have roused the yeast a bit before switching to secondary!
like I said still have my old yeast in another bucket do you think I can remix it and try to see if it works with some light stirring

What was your grain bill & mash temp & OG? Your higher than expected SG could be unfermentable sugars & adding more yeast won't change that.
Give the repitch a try w/ something like S05.
Certainly don't give up. You made beer.

I normally buy online but maybe I can find a place near to buy us-05 yeast :s
If I do that my dry hopping will be ruined a bit

And do u think the beer can still be good with a Sg of 1.030 when it says it should be at 1.017
Maybe because I switched fermenter some of the yeast will activate and it will lower a bit :S

There will be a good deal of suspended yeast in there, but not sure it will attenuate as much as you want. You could pitch half a package of US-05 or Nottingham if you are in a rush. Won't hurt.

Dry hopping will be hurt by that :( but do you think the beer can still be enjoyable with that gravity or maybe 1.025 if it lowers a bit in secondary

That reading is more like 1.033, did you hit 1.068 OG from the recipe? Thats pretty bad attenuation.
Check hydrometer calibration in water, should be 1.000.

Are you bottling or kegging?

i'd give repitching yeast a try. In the future, i would wait until the beer was around its expected FG before adding to secondary. but im new so i may be speaking incorrectly.

Make sure your hydrometer is calibrated. Also, there is no way that 1.030ish means that all the fermentable sugars have been consumed unless you mashed really, really high. Is it possible that your thermometer is off? I would also calibrate that as well.

I agree with others that you should go ahead and pitch some US-05 instead of waiting on the shipment.

Finally, have you tasted it? IMO if it really is sitting at 1.030 that is waaaay too sweet, but let your palette be the judge. If it tastes good to you, then kegging is certainly an option. I would not under any circumstances bottle with the SG that high bc of the risk of the yeast waking up and creating bottle bombs.

Well damn. I'd repitch the slurry and buy more hops.

Depends how long that slurry has been sitting in that bucket, and if it's still sanitary. OP needs to make an educated judgment on the slurry's condition.

I don't always clean buckets thoroughly directly after a transfer, but I do pour the yeast (with the leftover beer) from the bucket into a large sanitized pickle jar, and put it in the fridge.

Stuck fermentations are the pits.

Depends how long that slurry has been sitting in that bucket, and if it's still sanitary. OP needs to make an educated judgment on the slurry's condition.

I don't always clean buckets thoroughly directly after a transfer, but I do pour the yeast (with the leftover beer) from the bucket into a large sanitized pickle jar, and put it in the fridge.

Yeah true. I assumed we were talking as recent as today. I also store mine immediately.

Agreed, I'd repitch but only if slurry has been removed from primary and stored correctly.

Ideally the OP should make a starter and pitch that after a day or so, when it's active and at full krausen. Just pouring more inactive yeast in won't do much good.

If that bucket has been sitting there for a few days, there is a good chance it's loaded with bugs. All depends on how it was handled and stored.

If it's still good, add some wort to it to make it super potent and pitch the whole lot. Again, another problem caused by racking to a secondary, needlessly and prematurely.

That's the problem with transferring to secondary before reaching FG. I think you lost a lot of your yeast, but if they pooped out before you reached FG, that suggests your mash temps where a bit high and left some sugars around the yeast couldn't eat.

If you want to get that gravity down you need to re-pitch, it may or may not work, but it's about the only option at this point. Could be pretty sweet, but should be drinkable at least, no?

----edit----
I have found that transferring to secondary fermentation is unnecessary unless you dry hop in primary or have an high gravity brew that leaves a ton of trub. The last few brews I made I used no secondary (even in repeat recipes that I did secondary) and I can tell no difference, just gotta be a bit more careful when you rack to keg or bottling bucket.

I agree with everyone that you will likely have to re pitch to get it all the way down. I haven't used that yeast before so take it with a grain of salt but typically you can ramp up your temp once you're close to the end of fermentation and you shouldn't get much yeast character from them eating away the last few points. While you probably will need more yeast, see if warming up the beer helps in the meantime

Back