IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
Being ready for my second AG, I browsed through the 2 most popular IPAs - Yooper's 60-min DFH clone and Dude's Pliny. Taking inspiration from both of those recipes, this is what I concocted:

14 lbs. Briess 2-row
1 lb. Briess cara-pils
1 lb. Briess 60L crystal
1 lb. Briess Victory

Mashed in around 157 F for 80 minutes (yeah, it was a bit high, but I am ok with more non-fermentables).

Hop schedule:

1 oz. Centennial @ 60 min - continuous to 30 min
1 oz. Centennial + 1 oz. Simcoe @ 30 min - continuous to 10 min
2 oz. Cascade @ 10 min through flameout - continous

Will dry-hop with 3 oz. of Cascade plugs over the course of 6 weeks.

Hope it turns out well - I will post again once I taste a sample.

mashing-copy.jpg

boiling.jpg

Interesting choice of Hops-

3oz over 6 weeks? I was under the assumption 7 days is the best amount of time for dy hopping. But I look forward to your review

MikeFlynn74 said:
Interesting choice of Hops-

3oz over 6 weeks? I was under the assumption 7 days is the best amount of time for dy hopping. But I look forward to your review

I got the dry-hop schedule from Dude's Pliny recipe - he uses different hops, but puts new ones in and removes the old ones every two weeks. I'm not sure what most people recommend for dry-hopping times, but from the comments, his beer was really great, so I'm going to give that method a shot.

If it works then go for it! I think dry hopping is a complete PIA save for pellet hops. They dont absorb much and you can strain them out easily.

MikeFlynn74 said:
If it works then go for it! I think dry hopping is a complete PIA save for pellet hops. They dont absorb much and you can strain them out easily.

Thanks for the tip! This is the first-time I've dry-hopped, so I wasn't sure what to try. I will definitely give pellets a shot next time.

Wow, yeah, that sure does seem like a long time and a pain with all that dryhopping...but then again, I've never had a Pliny so what do I know? Thats a good looking wort. Great color.

jvh261 said:
Wow, yeah, that sure does seem like a long time and a pain with all that dryhopping...but then again, I've never had a Pliny so what do I know? Thats a good looking wort. Great color.

Yeah, we'll see if I have the patience for the 6-weeks. My excitement for this IPA may cut the dry-hopping schedule down a bit, in the end.

Evets said:
I've made the Pliny twice and dry hopped all three hops together for 2 weeks. Turned out great both times.

Well, I just broke my hydrometer, so perhaps I'll order some different hops so I have something other than just Cascade to dry-hop with. Glad to know that the Pliny was good. When hop prices get a little less insane, I hope to try the actual recipe.

YooperBrew said:
I personally think that simcoe + amarillo = heaven. Those two together would be awesome for dry hops!

Yeah, I was going for the Amarillo and Simcoe from your DFH 60, but my LHBS was all out of Amarillo (he subbed Cascade for it). I did score the Simcoe, and will see if I can order some Amarillo online for my dry-hopping.

So, I just drank the last of these bad boys. :(

This beer turned out really well - got rave reviews from everyone (minus my one brother that doesn't like hops). I ended up dry-hopping with the following schedule:

Week 1 of secondary:
1 oz Cascade plug (chopped up)
1 oz Amarillo pellets
0.5 oz Simcoe whole leaf hops

Week 3 of secondary:
0.5 oz Simcoe whole leaf hops

Week 5 of secondary:

The hops left in the carboy after racking for bottling:
IPA hops.jpg

I am still having trouble with chill haze, but I don't really mind.
IMG_5265.jpg

Turned out with a really nice hop nose and flavor, with a moderate amount of bitterness. Comparing it to Loose Cannon (one of my favorite IPAs), the Loose Cannon has a definite toasty/roasted flavor that mine does not, and is a bit more bitter. I think I will also narrow the hops next time, and not include the Cascade. I want to use fewer hops, because it seemed like there were too many competing flavors.

Overall though, it was a great beer, and I was quite pleased.

Dude you live near Baltimore and you didn't offer me any:(

Beautiful looking head on that thang! 5oz dry hop:mug: If it's not to late you should brew something using those hops for bittering

Dude you live near Baltimore and you didn't offer me any:(

Beautiful looking head on that thang! 5oz dry hop:mug: If it's not to late you should brew something using those hops for bittering

Sorry man! I haven't had the pleasure of sharing beer with any of my MD comrades (except budbo). Unfortunately I didn't know that you could reuse the hops for bittering, but I will definitely be doing that for the next IPA.

:off:
Has there been a surgery I'm not aware of :p

LOL! The only surgery I'd ever get certainly wouldn't REDUCE the evidence that I'm a chick. I call everyone dude - guy or gal (my mom always seems a little surprised when she gets called "Dude!").

Back