IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finny13

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Still somewhat of a noob with 5 beers under of my belt. With that being said I'm still an extract brewer. All the recipes that I find on this site and most places that are meant for extract brewing are generated through beersmith. Using these recipes assumes that you start with 4 gallons of water in your pot. At this point I only have a 5 gallon brew pot. I brewed an IPA using a recipe through brewsmith and it was a nightmare. Only because my brewpot is too small. Every other beer I've made has been through a kit off of Austin Homebrew or Northern brewer. All of those kits have you start off with 2.5 gallons.

Alright here comes the question in all of this. Has anyone brewed an IPA from one of these sites or another similar site where you start off with 2.5 gallons of water and have it turn out good? Or maybe even formulated a recipe on their own with starting out with this amount of water?

I enjoy Dogfish Head 60 Minute (and 90 minute) IPA, along with Harpoon IPA and Austin Homebrew's website has clone brews of these. I was thinking of buying one of these in the near future.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

You can do any recipe successfully with less than a full boil and add make-up water at the end. Using a smaller boil changes your hops utilization, so you'll have to take that into account and adjust the amount of hops as necessary. If you're using Beer Smith, the program really does all the work for you. Punch one of your recipes into BS. Uncheck "set boil volume based on equipment", and set to whatever boil volume you want to use. As you make adjustments you'll notice your Beer Profile changing. Or for more granular control, set up a new equipment profile that matches what you're using.

According to this link, adjusting the amount of hops based on the specific gravity of the boil not necessary. [https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/late-addition-hop-utilization-188394/#post2186025]

According to that very convincing post, the specific gravity of the boil mostly only affects the color. This sounds like a job for the MythBusters.

I've been using a 3 gallon pot, with and without late extract additions. I usually start with 2.5 to 2.75 gallons. The late addition batches were definitely lighter, but they both tasted pretty much the same. But I do plan on upgrading to a nice 5 or 6 gallon pot.

But, But....Palmers "How to Brew" specifically contains a chart on hop utilization where specific gravity and time in boil are considered. Utilization= f(G)Xf(T)

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html

True, but Palmer has come out and said that he made a mistake in his prior thinking.

Palmer says that there IS a difference in IBUs, but the cause isn't the wort gravity like he first thought. He says now that it has to do with "break material".

We've gone back and forth on this subject before and some say boil size doesn't matter. In my opinion, it does. I don't know the hows or whys, but it does. So, if I were to do a smaller boil I'd simply add the extract at the end of the boil and not do any other adjustments- especially for an IPA.

To the original poster- you can boil a smaller amount if you'd like. If you want to make a decent DFH 60 minute clone, try my recipe. I think I have it starting out with a 2.5 or 3 gallon boil. You can always boil whatever size you want- you don't have to start with 4 gallons if you don't want to.

Hey guys,

Still somewhat of a noob with 5 beers under of my belt. With that being said I'm still an extract brewer. All the recipes that I find on this site and most places that are meant for extract brewing are generated through beersmith. Using these recipes assumes that you start with 4 gallons of water in your pot. At this point I only have a 5 gallon brew pot. I brewed an IPA using a recipe through brewsmith and it was a nightmare. Only because my brewpot is too small. Every other beer I've made has been through a kit off of Austin Homebrew or Northern brewer. All of those kits have you start off with 2.5 gallons.

Alright here comes the question in all of this. Has anyone brewed an IPA from one of these sites or another similar site where you start off with 2.5 gallons of water and have it turn out good? Or maybe even formulated a recipe on their own with starting out with this amount of water?

I enjoy Dogfish Head 60 Minute (and 90 minute) IPA, along with Harpoon IPA and Austin Homebrew's website has clone brews of these. I was thinking of buying one of these in the near future.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

You can try brewing 2.5 gallon batches.that way you can boil the whole thing in your pot. I brew all-grain, no sparge 2.5 gal batches in about 3.5 hours. I get 20-25 bottles. It is easy, and I get to brew more often aNd try many different recipes. Instead of brewing one IPA, I brew two or three slightly different versions to see what I like best. Good luck!

Back