IPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shizog4

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking to make an IPA soon with the following ingredients. I am having trouble with the hop schedule.

8# 2-row
12oz 40L
8oz victory
5# extra light lme

Hops available:

3oz Amarillo
4oz warrior
3oz cascade
1oz citra

Safale s-04

If you use 5# LME, you'll be pushing 8% ABV at ~70% efficiency in the mash. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you're in to double IPA territory here, so adjust the bittering hops accordingly.

I'd say use the Warrior for bittering to your desired IBU since it gives a lot of IBU bang for the buck. Then save some for your next batch.

You really can't go wrong with any combo/timing of the other three hops, IMO. If you want to use them all and get really crazy, mix the Citra, Amarillo and Cascade. You'll need to figure out a weighted AA%: (Total AA% x oz) for each hop, then sum the three results and divide by total oz. Then spread them out at your leisure in the kettle & fermentor.

S-04 can get pretty fruity if your ambient temp is >68, so perhaps factor that in to the equation.

Back