IPA not carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory1070

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I brewed the Pliny the Elder clone kit from Northern Brewer. I followed the instructions to the word. My OG was a tad bit off, .002, but I was ok with that since this was only my second brew. I used individual carbing drops when I bottled. Now, coming close to 3 weeks in the bottles, sitting in a box at room temp, they still aren't carbonated. I can't figure out where I may have went wrong. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Never more than 75ish. It hasn't gotten hot here yet.
And I used 2 in the 22oz bottles and 1 in the 12oz as per the instructions.

1 week in primary, maybe a little longer, And 2 in secondary because the recipe required dry hopping a couple times.
And they are sitting in the downstairs spare bedroom. Not too many basements in Northern California. Haha.

Hmm that's weird. I assume you didn't filter it. You use gelatin or anything? That can cause it to take a while longer.

Yes unfiltered. And no gelatin or anything.
If it helps, when I pour it, it obviously comes out in carbonated. No head at all. It has an almost syrupy consistency. Also has what I think is a lot of sediment floating around. I know an unfiltered home brew will have some yeast and what not left over in the bottle, but my previous brew was pretty clear with the sediment remaining in the bottle.

Hmm you you have me stumped. Maybe someone else can chime in. Sorry man all I can say is give it time. Maybe it'll carb up.

Right on. Thanks for trying. Yeah I still have a case of 22s I'll keep on trying.

Mine didn't carb after 3.5 weeks at mid-high 60's, so I moved them to a warmer spot in the mid 70 to low 80s, inverted the bottles every couple days, and boom, completely carbonated a week later. IPA's tend to take longer to carb up, and generally need more time to condition as well.

I'll try that! That's for the tip. Yeah I heard IPAs take a little longer. Didn't think this long though.

I brewed a replica of this as well. It took about 6-8 weeks to carb up and start tasting like a good beer. Everything will probably be okay! As petrol said big IPAs just take longer.

Back