IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulud

Reaction score
Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract 8 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 10 1 lbs, 0 oz
Amarillo Pellets 0.5 oz @ 60 mins
Citra Pellets 0.5 oz @ 60 mins
Citra Pellets 1 oz @ 15 mins
Amarillo Pellets 1 oz @ 10 mins
Citra Pellets 0.5 oz @ 5 mins
Amarillo Pellets 0.5 oz @ 0 mins
Citra Pellets 1 oz @ Dry
Amarillo Pellets 1 oz @ Dry
SAFALE US-05 American Ale 1 ea

would this work out well? need input/criticism

thanks!

Being a huge fan of both Amarillo and Citra, it sounds great to me! I normally go for 9lbs of LME on my IPA's, but im sure all is good.

Citra Pellets 1 oz @ Dry

would this work out well? need input/criticism

thanks!

This may be a dumb question, but....If LME is malt based why add malt grains?

Citra Pellets 1 oz @ Dry

thanks!

Looks pretty good. I agree with maybe another # of extract. For alotta my pale ales and ipa's, a mix of DME at the beginning. Maybe extra light and Pilsen or wheat. And the the bulk of the extract as a late LME addition. Crystal malt is always good in an IPA, lately I've been taking to adding a touch of victory/biscuit malt as well to my IPAs. Maybe .1-.25#. I really like your hop selection too, should have a nice citrus punch.
:mug:

I'd up the crystal to 30 L or add a pound of Munich (actually, I do both for my IPAs). You need a little deep malt flavor to balance those hops

Hulud

Just a suggestion I would use Magnum instead of, Amarillo Pellets and Citra Hops in the 60 minute boil. Use Citra at flame out and dry hops with. Citra is more of an aroma hops. Just what I would do if I had those hops on hand.

Hulud

Just a suggestion I would use Magnum instead of, Amarillo Pellets and Citra Hops in the 60 minute boil. Use Citra at flame out and dry hops with. Citra is more of an aroma hops. Just what I would do if I had those hops on hand.

+1 magnums are a great bittering hop, and it won't detract from your finishing hops. I use magnums to bitter alot when I use hops like Amarillo for flavor/aroma.

One thing I've noticed is that some IPA's are a bit too bitter for my taste. I'd rather have light bittering,lots of hop flavor with English malt flavor on the back. I got to try my 1st DFH yesterday-a 90 minute imperial IPA. It has that sort of flavor profile. I also noticed an earthy flavor in the middle. I think Sam snuck in some hops with earthy qualities in the middle of all those flavor hop additions.

I would use the amarillo at the beginning of the boil down to 15 minutes, and below 10 minutes I would use the citra or a combination of citra and amarillo.

thanks for the advice.

heres what i did

Magnum Pellets 1 oz @ 60 mins
Amarillo Pellets 1 oz @ 5 mins
Citra Pellets 1 oz @ Dry
SAFALE US-05 American Ale 1 ea (Substituted Nottingham)
i just did it today so i will dry hop in a week or so

Hulud

Glad you got it brewed this weekend, you will have to let us know how it turns out.

Hulud

Glad you got it brewed this weekend, you will have to let us know how it turns out.

well i bottled it last weekend, tasted good then...

cant wait till its ready....especially since most of my friends dont like hoppy beer so that means its basically all mine and my fathers :tank:

Back