IPA finished 1.022...Brett???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berny88

Reaction score
OK. I'm a pretty advanced homebrewer and had an awesome process down with my igloo cooler mash tun. Because I wanted to do step mashing and have even more control over the process, I got a kettle to heat...Anyways, I think I've diagnosed a fermentation problem and its due to my new equipment. My thermometer on the new mash tun wasn't calibrated well and I think I ended up mashing higher than I intended on my latest IPA. Probably like 157-158. As a direct result my beer finished at 1.022.

I've heated the carboy, waited it out a while to try and eat it all up, but there is only so much saccharomyces can eat with all of those long chain sugars. I love brett IPAs (granted they are probably fermented in primary with brett and no sacc), and was wondering if pitching a brett strain could help this finish out? If so, a couple of questions.

1. Brett pitching rate?
2. What brett strain?
3. How long should it take to get down 5-6 gravity points?

Thanks!!!

What's the recipe? You may end up liking it. My recent brews have finished pretty high but they've been NE style pale ales (1.015-1.018 range). A high FG lends to mouthfeel as well.

1) Define "pretty advanced"
2) can you give us your recipe?
3) what's so wrong with 22 final gravity?

4) If you are adamant about adding Brett, WLP650 gives medium character, and WLP653 gives medium strong character. Never personally used them, but have tasted them in similar recipes.

Latest posts

Back