IPA dryhop suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinHooligan

Reaction score
I have my 1st original recipe that just finished fermenting and I am looking for suggestions on which hops to dry-hop with.

Recipe:
6gal
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.010
IBU: 54 Tinseth

10lb 2 row
2lb Munich
.5lb Carapils
.5lb Crystal 60
1lb Cane sugar

FWH: .5oz each Simcoe and Amarillo
10 min: .5oz each Simcoe and Amarillo
3 min: 1oz each Simcoe and Amarillo

I was considering dry-hopping with 1.5oz each Simcoe and Amarillo to keep with the same boil hops. The flavor and aroma are both very tropical as is right now, but I also have Columbus, Cascade, and Centennial in stock. I am shooting for something with a huge hop aroma with possibly more pine/dank aroma so considering only Simcoe and Columbus for the dry-hop.

If that's what you have, I'd roll with and never look back. Amarillo and Simcoe make great dry hop additions. Trust me.....It's almost in every brew I do now.

If that's what you have, I'd roll with and never look back. Amarillo and Simcoe make great dry hop additions. Trust me.....It's almost in every brew I do now.

I agree. I LOVE amarillo and simcoe together. My current IPA is all simcoe/amarillo even for dryhopping, and it's full of grapefruity hoppiness.

If you want to cut down on the grapefruit, you could try a different hop variety like columbus but I really love the simcoe/amarillo combo.

I agree. I LOVE amarillo and simcoe together. My current IPA is all simcoe/amarillo even for dryhopping, and it's full of grapefruity hoppiness.

If you want to cut down on the grapefruit, you could try a different hop variety like columbus but I really love the simcoe/amarillo combo.

I'm glad you chimed in Yooper!! I was hoping you would, knowing your affinity for the amazing IPA. I'm gonna keep rolling with the Simcoe/Amarillo. If my hydro sample is any indication of the final product this one will not last long :tank:

Back