International Shipping & Ordering: Stories/Tips/Tricks/Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Int'l shipping service do you prefer?

• BiaB

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Etre

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Y'all are crazy for spending that much on shipping

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
No it isn't.

What specifically was customs fraud?

Pretty straightforward.
You could have been asking what specifically made me chuckle.

Declaring an imported commodity as something else to avoid duty is customs fraud. Entering into an agreement with other parties to do so makes it a conspiracy, whether or not the substantive offense is actually committed.

Declaring an imported commodity as something else to avoid duty is customs fraud. Entering into an agreement with other parties to do so makes it a conspiracy, whether or not the substantive offense is actually committed.
Collectible glassware? It is though.

i don't tell the webshops what to put on the packaging forms for contents. i've never entered an agreement on that. good day sir.

No need to get defensive, fellas. If you're not doing anything wrong, you're not doing anything wrong. Willful blindness is not a defense, though.

The law that covers false invoicing is Title 18 United States Code, Section 542.

Without getting into specifics, I don't think this thread rises to the level of a conspiracy.
That's not what I meant to imply. Some of the posts do hint at behavior that absolutely constitutes a conspiracy to evade duty by false invoicing.

Let me clarify: I could not possibly care less. This thread is just theater of the mind, after all.

Didn't they use DHL, or at least a shipper different than Bpost/USPS for a shot window about 2 years ago? If I recall correctly they had a bunch of issues getting the boxes through customs and reverted back to Bpost/USPS pretty quickly.

Or am I imagining that?

Mikkeller had some issues with DHL about a year ago.

I have a box coming from overseas that is just hauling ass. I expect it to be delivered tomorrow, which would make 10 days door-to-door shipping. Not bad at all.
yeah the two international boxes I've been in on took a week. Pretty slick

Has anyone else around Chicago had their BiaB box go through LAX recently like Thorpe429 ?
I have one that's ready, but not sure if I should pull the trigger for shipment if more are going West for whatever reason.

gErhv3U.jpg

Check that one out slothy... if I'd have been here for delivery on the 18th it'd have been a new record for me

My record was getting a box to thrashD over Christmas - was in my hands in the UK at 1pm on Dec 23, was delivered to Columbus, OH at 11am on Dec 26. Got there so quickly he was still on vacation and his neighbour took it in! Clearly customs in OH have a ZFG attitude during the holiday season.

My record was getting a box to thrashD over Christmas - was in my hands in the UK at 1pm on Dec 23, was delivered to Columbus, OH at 11am on Dec 26. Got there so quickly he was still on vacation and his neighbour took it in! Clearly customs in OH have a ZFG attitude during the holiday season.
I just recently got a box from Belgium in 4 days, which blew my mind with all the recent boxes getting sent back. My boxes usually clear customs at ORD for whatever reason too.

real quick:
I don't think ANY of us would think it's worth it to creatively (but truthfully) label a box to avoid the duty. the duty on beer is stupid cheap, especially at the volumes it makes sense to ship and at the cost/bottle already. what is it, like $0.50 or less per bottle?

I would absolutely tape a friggin $20 to every box I shipped to pay duty if that meant it wouldn't be bounced. but that's not the issue, the issue is that it's illegal to ship alcohol (apparently always by USPS, conditionally by other means) which makes ZERO sense to begin with... and people in charge of importing/distributing beer have better lobbyists than we do.

What has been people's experience with BiaB and the time from order to shipping? I have an order that's been sitting in "Preparation of your order" since Saturday. Just contemplating at what point I should send them an email.

What has been people's experience with BiaB and the time from order to shipping? I have an order that's been sitting in "Preparation of your order" since Saturday. Just contemplating at what point I should send them an email.
I had great experiences last year with them, with quick service, but I've been recently trying to get Kurt to send a box for over a month now. There was initially some miscommunication with similar names, to which I received the wrong tracking number, but it turned out to be a different Jeff's order. During that time, he was replying within 24 hours of my emails, but it's been 2 weeks since I've sent my last email asking for an update and payment invoice for shipping without a reply. Between that and all the other stories here, it seems he is definitely experiencing some lagging?
I'm actually now more worried about the LAX situation, since there was a Chicago bound box that went through LAX for some reason and got kicked back.

EDIT: To answer your question, last year I was getting my boxes delivered within 10 days if I remember correctly.

I had great experiences last year with them, with quick service, but I've been recently trying to get Kurt to send a box for over a month now. There was initially some miscommunication with similar names, to which I received the wrong tracking number, but it turned out to be a different Jeff's order. During that time, he was replying within 24 hours of my emails, but it's been 2 weeks since I've sent my last email asking for an update and payment invoice for shipping without a reply. Between that and all the other stories here, it seems he is definitely experiencing some lagging?
I'm actually now more worried about the LAX situation, since there was a Chicago bound box that went through LAX for some reason and got kicked back.

EDIT: To answer your question, last year I was getting my boxes delivered within 10 days if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the info. I sent Kurt an email just to see what's up.

I'm still pretty surprised at a box going from Belgium to anywhere in the US would go through LAX, but especially something bound for Chicago.

I'm still pretty surprised at a box going from Belgium to anywhere in the US would go through LAX, but especially something bound for Chicago.
Let me know if you hear back from him. I'm due to send him another to see what's going on.

Yeah, I don't understand why it would either. If yours goes through NY or Chicago and is fine, I may just send mine to my folk's place up in Winneconne.
Thorpe429 , did you ever find out why yours went through LAX?

Good luck. I sent multiple emails over a period of roughly 3 weeks with no response till I finally opened PayPal disputes on all the transactions. Guess what, he responded in less than 24 hours and refunded all my money. I guess he can read emails. :rolleyes:

Anyway that was my experience and I won't be ordering anything from BIAB ever again. His take on customer service is different than mine. And that's fine of course. Not to say Kurt is a bad guy, again this was just my experience

I just did my first Biab order and got it sent through Chicago. It took approximately 2 weeks to ship and I got no tracking URL from Kurt since he said it had shipped. I sent an email to him asking for the tracking number but no response. But then the box showed up several days later.

I just did my first Biab order and got it sent through Chicago. It took approximately 2 weeks to ship and I got no tracking URL from Kurt since he said it had shipped. I sent an email to him asking for the tracking number but no response. But then the box showed up several days later.

Well, that's less than consoling. :confused:

For any east coasters wondering, mine usually come through Jamaica, NY, get stuck there for about 5 days, and then I get an update about a day before delivery. I've had experiences between 6 days, and 3 weeks as far as shipping time from EU.

Have a box sitting in customs for a month from Chicago now. Total mess. Wrong last name, wrong tracking number, wrong you name it. Was an express USPS box. 7 days?? Bordering on a month.
Have had to call Post and customs several times now. Paid the excise on the box a week ago and still no joy.
Maybe the coconut on the BCS Prop will still be around once I get it.

Latest posts

Back