International Shipping & Ordering: Stories/Tips/Tricks/Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Int'l shipping service do you prefer?

• BiaB

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Etre

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Y'all are crazy for spending that much on shipping

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
When I posted this thread I never thought it would get stickied. Pretty cool. Doing my second one of these with HenrikO again. Even after the original going smoothly, the nerves are starting to ramp up. His box is on the way. I will be shipping soon. It's scary when these things are in transit. :eek: It's good to see so many successful stories in this thread.
Speaking of which, Barry, I just saw your package is moving, currently at the Swedish international transit hub. Delivery estimated Friday next week. Fingers crossed!

Just read through the entire thread..great stuff and lots of awesome advice! I am just finalizing some details on my first international trade and had a question.

In regards to delcaring what the package is and assigning a $$ value, declaring it as "collectible glassware" and valuing it at $20 which seemed to be the 'go-to' amount. There was mention of boxes getting flagged by customs because ~20kg of glassware should be valued higher. So my question is, is $20 still a safe (relatively) valuation for a 12 shipper full of "collectible glassware"? the whole package should be about or even a little less than 20kg since half the box is smaller bottles. Or should I value it higher?

I have yet to start to fill out the customs form so i apologize if there is a table about declared values and taxes, im trying to get my ducks in a row before starting the whole process.

many thanks!

Just read through the entire thread..great stuff and lots of awesome advice! I am just finalizing some details on my first international trade and had a question.

In regards to delcaring what the package is and assigning a $$ value, declaring it as "collectible glassware" and valuing it at $20 which seemed to be the 'go-to' amount. There was mention of boxes getting flagged by customs because ~20kg of glassware should be valued higher. So my question is, is $20 still a safe (relatively) valuation for a 12 shipper full of "collectible glassware"? the whole package should be about or even a little less than 20kg since half the box is smaller bottles. Or should I value it higher?

I have yet to start to fill out the customs form so i apologize if there is a table about declared values and taxes, im trying to get my ducks in a row before starting the whole process.

many thanks!

I can only go by what happened to me. I shipped to the Netherlands, declared $20, and it sat at customs for almost three weeks. My sender told me to do an odd number value a bit higher than $20 (but under $50) like $34 or something like that. Round numbers look suspicious according to him. Just one man's opinion

I can only go by what happened to me. I shipped to the Netherlands, declared $20, and it sat at customs for almost three weeks. My sender told me to do an odd number value a bit higher than $20 (but under $50) like $34 or something like that. Round numbers look suspicious according to him. Just one man's opinion
precisely where I am sending. Thanks for the tip!

many thanks!
I actually did $120 on the one that went out today. I had no problems with the one I started this thread with but I thought I went higher than $20 because claaark13 said something about $20 X 6 or something, if I remember correctly. Good luck!!!

I actually did $120 on the one that went out today. I had no problems with the one I started this thread with but I thought I went higher than $20 because claaark13 said something about $20 X 6 or something, if I remember correctly. Good luck!!!
Interesting, thanks for the info! I think what claaark was referring to was dividing the total weight/price by six for every item you declare (ie 6 items on the form). I did a test run on USPS' website and that's how I did it. Might be wrong, but that's how I intrepreted it.

How much did your box weigh? And thanks for the luck, you as well!!

It was ~$20 for x6, or something like that, not $120 = 6 x $20

That's ok though, I think it is just a tax that gets imposed depending on the import company.

From the luck-out department, I discovered this thread the day AFTER sending a large box to Sweden. Said box had the following characteristics: USPS, 63 pounds, yeast samples (b/c it was sloshing a little so didn't want to go with glassware), $30 declared value. Basically, I sent it off based on some very loose research I had done, then read this thread and sweated bullets for 2 weeks. The luck part...cleared both sides no problem, even arrived 4 days early.

Going forward, though, I think I'll go with the conventional wisdom...now that I know what it is!

From the luck-out department, I discovered this thread the day AFTER sending a large box to Sweden. Said box had the following characteristics: USPS, 63 pounds, yeast samples (b/c it was sloshing a little so didn't want to go with glassware), $30 declared value. Basically, I sent it off based on some very loose research I had done, then read this thread and sweated bullets for 2 weeks. The luck part...cleared both sides no problem, even arrived 4 days early.

Going forward, though, I think I'll go with the conventional wisdom...now that I know what it is!

Holy poundage Batman. Don't even want to know what that cost to ship

Holy poundage Batman. Don't even want to know what that cost to ship
7--180502-money%20animation%20-%20dollars.jpg

Yeah, that was not pleasant (especially when I realized I was gonna have to send 2 boxes), but fortunately, I had a partner on this side, so we split it.

Michigan and Dunt once sent me a 67-pound package.

Made it OK but was slightly delayed because it crushed 2 Customs officials on the way.
Well, actually it was 67 pounds but it weighed 63 at the post office because I had my hand under the box to lift it up a bit while it was on their scale. I was very sneaky!

Wow, I just got a package from the UK delivered in just under three days. It arrived at Customs, was cleared in just an hour, and was delivered six hours later (about a 140 miles away). I don't think this is normal, but I hope my next shipment is as easy! Still need to complete my end of the trade when I get back into town.

Honestly, at this point we might as well just rename this the "Int'l Shipping to HenrikO and others: Tips/Tricks/Advice" thread
There are actually a lot (well, a handful) of Europeans besides me who trade over here. They're just not very active besides sending PMs responding to ISO/FTs.

But sure, I'll take it.;)

There are actually a lot (well, a handful) of Europeans besides me who trade over here. They're just not very active besides sending PMs responding to ISO/FTs.

But sure, I'll take it.;)
Ha I know but moreso mean a majority of the posts are relating to sending your way. All in good fun, I swear!

I'm going to threadshit and not talk about HenrikO dealings. ;)

Mailed two boxes to US from Canada using the Canada Post/USPS handoff.
I'm astounded as tracking is working at both ends and both are moving without interuptions (albeit a bit slower than I'd like in this weather). I am much excite. Gone are the days of me smuggling beer in me bottom through customs only to wrap up and box on the streets of the D outside UPS.
Of course I've never heard good things about beer coming into Canada from the US so I'll keep my Detroit mailbox.

tl;dr USPS (like the US) trusts its northern little brother (Canada Post) to give them stuff thats on the up and up. ;)
But little brother is oddly a rat when it comes to big bro sending stuff.

HenrikO

You mentioned Germany customs earlier in this thread. Sending a box there soon. What's the deal bro?
German customs are somewhat more thorough than Swedish or US customs, that's all. Take the normal precautions (i.e. tick "gift", don't declare too high a value, pack well - no sloshing, don't get creative etc) and you should be fine.

I want to bang you all, but I'm getting a bit stretched (ha!). Feel free to get back to me around March/April, I'll hopefully be restocked on 'loons by then.

MKtheGeneral and blue_bleeder , there's still enough love to go around! I'm just not a one-man man, fellas.
Oh I know, so much for joking! You are a class act good sir.

ef02b4af17582f7a6170122891c468b7be9ea23b0285b06fb6db56ed06b08fe3.jpg

Latest posts

Back