Interesting seperation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllusionOfTime

Reaction score
So, last evening, I did the partial mash recipie of BM's Oktoberfast.

Everything went well, however...prior to pitching, the carboy looked like this...

oktoberfast_small.jpg

Any thoughts on what's going on there...??

I forgot to mention, I did whirlpool and avoid transferring most of the break material to the carboy when siphoning. I was able to cool very rapidly so the break material separated rather nicely so I know that I got the bulk of it out. I have faith that the beer will turn out fine, however, I was just intrigued about this separation. it was after a very short period of time as well.

That's kinda funky for siphoning away from the break. That's only happened when I let the break in on a REALLY big beer. Whatever, pitch and relax. It'll be fine. :mug:

It'll be ok. Things like that usually tend to turn out alright. Somtimes I've noticed my beer becomes layered in the fermenter. It's kind of weird looking but disappears over time.

Yea, it was definitely weird, but I just went with it. It was like 3am when I wwas done and cleaned up and took that picture, so i wasn't all that worried at the time. I didn't pitch right away because my starter wasn't really going yet, so I will pitch tonight when I get home.

Latest posts

Back