Interesting cone growth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshamilton

Reaction score
My goldings that I just harvested had about 20 cones with some leaves growing out of them. These are third year plants.

I did spray the bines with potassium phosphate when I saw signs of possible downy mildew, so maybe that caused the issue? Didn't see this on my Cascade or Zeus, but those are not ready to harvest yet.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439411332.771289.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439411363.690941.jpg

Anyone see this before? Not worried just thought it was strange.

Ah yes, "Angel Wings".

These are fairly common and happen when the plant isn't sure if it should be in a flowering, or a vegetative growth stage. I noticed one on my nugget this morning.

When it's really bad (as in your case) it can be a sign of plant stress, or simply too much nitrogen.

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 1.57.11 PM.jpg

image_zpswac75elf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Santiam cone. There was only one, but several from the same plant were noticably smaller and rounder than usual.

This happens if I fertilize with high nitrogen after the spurs develop. I have a few of these buggers myself.

just harvested some of my second year Columbus hops that had these angel wings, are these hops still salvageable or should I just leave the angel wing hops on the vine?

I used some last year in an ipa. I tossed them in the boil and everyone who drank the beer thought it was great. The only person who knew was me. There was no flavor change that was detectable. I would imagine that you may start detecting flavor irregularities if you used a lot of angel-winged hops in a boil, but I would also imagine that it would be an entire yield since the leaves are so small

Back