Instant Bubbling!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenbasterd

Reaction score
hey guys, so i brewed a batch of coopers Canadian blonde yesterday. added brew enhancer 1 and about 1 1/2 cups of light DME i had leftover.. then added another 1/2 cup dextrose for aliitle more ABV. i boiled the BE1, DME and dextrose for a about 10 mins just to kill germs.

so got all that mixed and i had an extra packet of coopers yeast from a previous batch(coopers draught) where i used nottingham instead of the coopers. i figured they would be the same so i would use both.. they werent :( of of them was a light yeast and the other was dark. but one was in my fridge and one was just on the coopers lid.. OG was 1.40 pitched yeast at 24c dry from pack.

so i poped the lid on and its bubbling instantly. i figured it was just bubbles and left it a bit.. came back few hours later.. still bubbling??? there no way the yeast took off that fast?? wth are these bubbles coming from?? left it over night and its still bubbling roughly the same.. about 2 or 3 bubbles a min..
only my 4th batch but this never happened before.
normal?
weird?
run for my life?

Could be any number of things causing the bubbling. Just let it do it's thing. It'll be fine.

yes i understand the bubbling doesn;t mean its fermenting.. but it does mean some gas is being produced.. just thought it was really weird.

yes i understand the bubbling doesn;t mean its fermenting.. but it does mean some gas is being produced.. just thought it was really weird.

You had air in a vessel, you replaced it with liquid which displaced the oxygen, therefore it's offgassing out of the airlock. Like it's supposed to do...it happens all the time.

Could be fermentation, could be localized changes in pressure/temperature (there's never a bad time to go back over some ideal gas laws! PV/T = P'V'/T'), could be related to mechanical disturbances of your fermentation vessel, or it could be some combination of all/none of those things. :)

Latest posts

Back