Input Needed to increase body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdawg183

Reaction score
I'm a fairly experienced brewer and unfortunately feel like I've become pretty complacent with my process... hence this ask.

Pretty much all of my brews end up with a pretty consistently low body and absolutely never have that thick mouthfeel (when desired). I almost always hit my temps/volumes/values and overall efficiency is usually ~85%. My setup is 10 gallon, all grain, Coleman cooler with braided bottom filter and a typical brew length of 90 minutes. Fermentation is in a temp controlled 15 gallon conical.

Can anybody suggest any tips or common things to look out for and/or do to fix? Water profile is what my finger is pointing to however it is city water so I assume can't be tooooo far off.

Body is generally related to ingredients but also mash temperature plays a role as well.

Water shouldn't affect body, but I guess if there is little chloride it could maybe mean less of a perception of "fullness", although that's not something I've heard of actually being an issue.

What is a typical recipe and mash temp where you have low body?

Try a shorter mash period. You may be losing a little heat during that long of a mash and giving the beta amylase the edge on breaking down the dextrines you need for the fuller body. The other factor in the equation is mash temperature. Mash higher for more body.

Try a shorter mash period. You may be losing a little heat during that long of a mash and giving the beta amylase the edge on breaking down the dextrines you need for the fuller body. The other factor in the equation is mash temperature. Mash higher for more body.

I didn't consider the time aspect of the mash as I don't ever measure the temp at the end of mashing... only beginning. Good point.

I'll take a look in BS to see what I can do about the temp. Thanks!

The last couple brews that have ended up with this were a Kolsch, Oud Bruin, and Porter... which were all great but the Oud and Porter were the ones that were unexpectedly low in body. Obviously with the Kolsch, one would expect it.

Coupe of guys have told me that some maltodextrin adds that thick mouthfeel? Is that an option?

2 main things add to a fuller mouthfeel. Specialty grains like crystal malts and a higher mash temp. Do you actively attempt to balance these when designing your beers? Stuff like malto-dextrin helps, but I've never needed it if I nail the first 2 things I mentioned. Thick mouthfeel can also be subjective as well. What's thick to me may not be to you.

If I want more body, carapils is what I use. 5-10% will have a noticeable impact.

+1 for the addition of some carapils to the recipe. I will add some to my beers that I like to finish really dry, like IPAs, to reduce the thinness from a long and low mash temp.

Mash time is where it's at. Try mashing for just 30-35 minutes. You'll get bigger mouthfeel from that. Plus save a lot of time on brew day, if you care about that at all. It's a win-win.

I agree with the others on shorter mash times. The longer you mash, the less dextrins (long chain carbohydrates) you have left, and these help to provide body. You can also add some grains with more protein, like wheat and flaked barley as protein really improves body

Back