[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may be right. I was trying to interpret the glasses shown on my keezer taplist which has two glasses per row and the relative ratios of calories vs ABV for each seems so proportional that I guess the glasses could be showing either value. I don't have the case with a higher ABV but lower caloric content to belie either interpretation...

Cheers!

You may be right. I was trying to interpret the glasses shown on my keezer taplist which has two glasses per row and the relative ratios of calories vs ABV for each seems so proportional that I guess the glasses could be showing either value. I don't have the case with a higher ABV but lower caloric content to belie either interpretation...

Cheers!

And a nice tap list it is! I love a good Citra Pale!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I believe those glasses are shot glasses and not pint glasses. A 5% pint would be .8 ounces of alcohol so about the same as a shot of 80% liquor. Anything over 5% will show a full shot glass plus more in the second glass. As I understand it the calories are for a 12ounce pour. I have compared it to beersmith and it's pretty close.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This is my favourite RPi project... this post comes a little late - should have posted yesterday since it was "Pi" day (3/14)..

I built one, but went a bit of a different direction than most I've seen in this thread. I disassembled the monitor, and mounted it into the wall above my taps and wired it from the backside. Made a small frame from some cedar I had laying around to finish it up!

Am6ehVIl.jpg

I just upgraded my kegerator and tap tower to 3 taps so it would make sense for me to run this setup. I'm in the parts-acquisition phase, and looking at the biggest purchase - the monitor. What have people been finding works best for size, resolution, and best place to acquire? I don't have 10 taps so I can't see needing the 22"+ recommended on the RPints page... Am I wrong?

You should read through the recommendations on their site. 22" is probably the perfect size. If you hang it horizontally (landscape, standard) them it shows five beers perfectly which is awesome if you want to list beers as 'coming soon'

I can't see needing the 22"+ recommended on the RPints page...

You should read through the recommendations on their site. 22" is probably the perfect size. If you hang it horizontally (landscape, standard) them it shows five beers perfectly which is awesome if you want to list beers as 'coming soon'

So just so I'm clear - I should do the thing I already did, and your suggestion is to do what I'm trying to see if I can avoid doing, so I can display more beers than I currently have, and possibly display 'coming soon' beers which isn't an available option yet? Thanks? :tank:

So just so I'm clear - I should do the thing I already did, and your suggestion is to do what I'm trying to see if I can avoid doing, so I can display more beers than I currently have, and possibly display 'coming soon' beers which isn't an available option yet? Thanks? :tank:

Exactly!

They talk about size and resolution on their website, and I simply type 'Coming Soon' in front of the name of the beer. But just cuz I write it and you choose to read it, doesn't mean you have to another second of thought into it. It seems to me that no matter what wide screen I put it on (I've tried a 40", 21.5" and a 16" of various resolutions), it always looks best with 5 beers listed in landscape mode. But that's just because I don't like to have the bottom of the screen blank.

Sorry guys, been working 12's. About 10 more days of it and I'm done!

The ABV symbols represent the equivalent number of shots of 80-proof liquor. One 12-oz pour of 5% beer just happens to have the same alcoholic content as one 1.5-oz shot of 40% liquor.

The calories content doesn't scale perfectly with alcohol because of residual sugars left after full attenuation.

Sorry guys, been working 12's. About 10 more days of it and I'm done!

The ABV symbols represent the equivalent number of shots of 80-proof liquor. One 12-oz pour of 5% beer just happens to have the same alcoholic content as one 1.5-oz shot of 40% liquor.

The calories content doesn't scale perfectly with alcohol because of residual sugars left after full attenuation.

"A drink, is a drink, is a drink." As they say... ;-)

Wrt to screen size, I had an old 19" 1280x1024 LCD monitor sitting around gathering dust, and it works great in landscape mode displaying a 6 tap list. New life for an orphaned display, it will be suspended above my keezer t-tower and - for now - woken up with a peck at the wee wireless keypad spacebar (eventually I'd like a cheapo camera module to wake up the display when someone approaches the keezer).

Anyway...I've been playing around with the RPi, Python, databases and web servers in the little free time I have these days, learning just enough to be dangerous, and have managed to bolt a temperature logger module onto my Tap List (click on the thermometer). It's running in my office for now, but once I figure out how to log and graph two probes I'm moving the RPi down to the keezer, and have one probe tracking a full-ish keg and the other suspended in free-air.

Speaking of figuring things out, I had to sacrifice the RaspberryPints link for now, but if I ever figure out how to effect the formatting of the &^%#$@! RPints header I'll put it back. Right now I can't even change the allowed space for the center header... :drunk:

Cheers!

If you plan to leave the tap list accessible I'd get a domain and create a dns record pointing to your IP address so you aren't showing your ip address.

daytripper, that temp logger is pretty cool. Good work.

I'd replace it with a simpler, cleaner text output, if it was mine, but good work nonetheless!

If you plan to leave the tap list accessible I'd get a domain and create a dns record pointing to your IP address so you aren't showing your ip address.

But if anyone can find an ip address from a domain name I'm not sure what the gain on the play might be?

Cheers!

Thanks to all the developers that put this out there. You guys are awesome. I got this loaded on a linux server. I managed to get my swiss flow sensor on my arduino talking to linux via python and populating the mysql table. You guys did 99 % of the lifting and made it easy for me to figure out how to write to your mysql table you already set up. I updated the index.php to show oz served and oz and gallons left in the keg. Can't wait till you come out with 2.0. Keep up the good work. Let me know if you are ever in the metro detroit area and I owe you guys a case of beer.

flow.jpg

Finally got this up and running with the help of a friend who knows a hell of a lot more than I do. Once up and running it was easy to change my beers. Thanks for all of the hard work you guys put into this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

I think full screen doesn't work but replace that word with kiosk and it does. It just won't allow you to F11 back to the normal window.

Just so you know for me when --kiosk was enabled.. it killed the internet connections..??? But did work for full screen.

Also I think I fixed the screen blanking, I commented out:

#@xscreensaver -no-splash

My display stayed up all night.

At least they will have to put a little effort in to find it.

True enough.

I have one internal LAN port exposed to the outside world, tunneled through two layers of NAT. It lands on my wee RPi's html port. As the RPi has no access privs to any other LAN node, and has no information I'd deem a security risk, if bad guys want to have at that poor little thing, they're welcome to take their best shot...

Cheers!

I'm having an issue but it is not with the RaspberryPints system. The problem is that I lose my wifi signal on a regular basis. I googled and found some solutions that checks for connection and reconnects as necessary. The problem is that the solutions are apparently written by people smarter than me and they assume the reader knows what they are doing regarding the Raspberry Pi. Unfortunately that does not include me.

If someone could point me to a "Raspberry Pi for dummies" fix for this I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I have the same problem and need the same help. When I connect to my network from another device, I can see that usually the RPi isn't connected. So I wait it out and it will come back. It's as if it connects and disconnects whenever it feels like it. Very frustrating.
I'm having an issue but it is not with the RaspberryPints system. The problem is that I lose my wifi signal on a regular basis. I googled and found some solutions that checks for connection and reconnects as necessary. The problem is that the solutions are apparently written by people smarter than me and they assume the reader knows what they are doing regarding the Raspberry Pi. Unfortunately that does not include me.

If someone could point me to a "Raspberry Pi for dummies" fix for this I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

If you have the IP address set statically on the pi it could be conflicting with another device on your network that is trying to use the same ip address. You can go into the router and set the that ip reserved for the mac address of the pi and then reboot all your wifi devices so they will re-pull an ip and see if it fixes your issue. If you plug the pi into your LAN do you still have this issue?

For those of you that are opening up your tap lists to the outside world, please be careful. In a "closed" environment, setting your file and folder permissions to 777 is not a big deal, though it is still not a good habit to get into. When you open your device to the outside world, it can become a major risk to your network, and other networks.

For anybody that does not know, setting the permissions to 777 indicates "Read/Write/Execute" permissions for "Owner/Group/Other". In more simple terms, anybody can do anything to any file or folder that they can access. This would include uploading and running files/scripts, deleting files, or even deleting entire directories, once they gain access.

In a "closed" environment, where the device is only available inside your own home network, its not a big deal as access to the device is limited. But, as soon as you open your device to the outside world, it becomes fair game to every hacker/script kiddie/bot that wants to try and use it as a point of attack. Will they actually attack your home network? Probably not (too much work), but they could use your open web server as a resource to attack other networks. At the very least, you may eventually see files being stored there related to malware websites, spam email messages, etc. It may not happen right away (they have to find you and gain access first), but with the security set to 777, it does make it a bit easier for them once they do find you.

Fair enough - but what would be a better way of doing this? Other than hiding your Rpi behind a firewall.

Haven't tested it yet to see if it breaks anything, but often the security is set to something like 644 for files and 755 for folders.

(644 gives "Read/Write" and 755 gives "Read/Write/Execute" (execute is needed to switch into a folder))

.htaccess files (or configuration changes in the Apache config files because we have direct access to them) can also be used to increase security on your web server.

Regardless, a user would have to still gain access (not just simply displaying the web page) in order to do anything malicious.

You can go into the router and set the that ip reserved for the mac address of the pi and then reboot all your wifi devices so they will re-pull an ip and see if it fixes your issue. If you plug the pi into your LAN do you still have this issue?

I have my RP set to a static address. It does not drop out when directly attached to the LAN. Also if I move the RP much closer to the router I don't have the problem. It's a result of not getting a very strong signal where I have to locate my kegerator. I have also bought a different WIFI adaptor with an external antenna for the RP but it still drops the wifi.

I believe a simple program that checks for the wifi connection and reconnects if it isn't connected would solve my problem.

[...]I believe a simple program that checks for the wifi connection and reconnects if it isn't connected would solve my problem.

Doesn't the nic driver do that automagically already?

You might make sure your wifi access point isn't on a channel that is contending with neighbors, but if your RPi is "challenged by reception" due to infrastructure it might be time for copper.

I brought my RPi up on copper but since then I've done almost everything via wifi, about 10 feet from various APs (we have a few). Given where the RPi will eventually be located I may just run a drop to my keezer if the wifi isn't solid, just to avoid disconnect/reconnect headaches...

Cheers!

Haven't tested it yet to see if it breaks anything, but often the security is set to something like 644 for files and 755 for folders.

(644 gives "Read/Write" and 755 gives "Read/Write/Execute" (execute is needed to switch into a folder))

.htaccess files (or configuration changes in the Apache config files because we have direct access to them) can also be used to increase security on your web server.

Regardless, a user would have to still gain access (not just simply displaying the web page) in order to do anything malicious.

I have never had much success with .htaccess files. I tried using one on my BrewPi fermentation controller. I'd wanted to restrict someone from coming in and setting my chamber to 80F and laughing at 20 gallons of ****e... Any of the how-to's I found on the web resulted in no change.

The Internet Age is truly amazing, even to a technoid dweeb in his seventh decade who saw it evolve from its infancy and really ought to be thoroughly jaded by now.

I squeezed A Day To Play out of my work schedule and have been having a blast futzing about with the RPi, Mysql, Sqlite3, Python, Java, html, et al. Set up "production" and "development" environments to avoid back-stepping and then went at it hammer and tong.

Have a question on constructs, syntax, formatting in five different "languages"? The Internet has the answer. Always. All it takes is a bit of commons sense filtering and you're on your way to the next show-stopper.

Anyway, got my temperature logger running with two channels and cleaned up the gui. Was thinking "Keg Temperature" and "Air Temperature", but with that all set up I'm already thinking I can justify logging four channels (add "Tower Temperature" and "Room Temperature"). DB bytes are cheap. Having lived my professional life on the receiving end of it, I gotta respect Feature Creep ;)

Think I'll work on the motion detection thing next...

Cheers!

The Internet Age is truly amazing, even to a technoid dweeb in his seventh decade who saw it evolve from its infancy and really ought to be thoroughly jaded by now.

I squeezed A Day To Play out of my work schedule and have been having a blast futzing about with the RPi, Mysql, Sqlite3, Python, Java, html, et al. Set up "production" and "development" environments to avoid back-stepping and then went at it hammer and tong.

Have a question on constructs, syntax, formatting in five different "languages"? The Internet has the answer. Always. All it takes is a bit of commons sense filtering and you're on your way to the next show-stopper.

Anyway, got my temperature logger running with two channels and cleaned up the gui. Was thinking "Keg Temperature" and "Air Temperature", but with that all set up I'm already thinking I can justify logging four channels (add "Tower Temperature" and "Room Temperature"). DB bytes are cheap. Having lived my professional life on the receiving end of it, I gotta respect Feature Creep ;)

Think I'll work on the motion detection thing next...

Cheers!

Be prepared to have your code poached by yours truly if you get motion working... :rockin:

This is awesome, thanks for making this awesome program.

Has anyone tried to integrate this with brewpi or something similar to control the temperature of a kegerator combined with an arduino? I know V2 is in development but I am just curious as all my parts are on order. Any reason the raspberry pi can't run both since they are based on the same Linux distribution? Maybe have a link from the beer sections to the controls for cooling temp? Just spitballing here since I don't have experience with either.

Back