Initial boil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrews824

Reaction score
So, various extract kits start with varying amounts of water to steep the grains. I've seen anything from 2 to 4 gallons to have in your kettle at the beginning of the brewing process.

Why would this be? Is there anything wrong by starting with, say 3 gallons when it calls for 2 and just topping off like normal after the transfer to the fermenter? Maybe I missed something as to why some require different amounts to begin with. I realize that it would be more difficult to transfer to the carboy with more liquid if I were not to siphon and just manually pour, but I just thought that was odd as to why many recipes have differing amounts.

Thanks.

Nothing wrong at all with what you mentioned. You just wouldn't want to use too little water to steep.
I steep grains separately in about a gallon of water and then add it to the boiling brew pot of water to save time since the steeping temp is anywhere from 154°F to 170°F.
I think shooting for a total volume of three gallons (water, steeped-grain liquid plus extract) is a nice compromise for the boil. It's easier to cool with an immersion chiller, if you use one, and then topping it off with two gallons of cold water can bring it nicely into the yeast's range for pitching.

Last edited:
I made it a practice of ignoring the starting volume of water when brewing extract. The first batch I made said 2.0 gallons for a 5 gallon batch and I had a very vigorous boil that gave me a nasty syrup. From then on I started with 3 gallons as a matter of course.
In terms of adding water at the end: I find it's handy to get one of those large "splash proof" funnels and fill it with ice and then let the wort drain into that. Aeration, extra water, and wort cooling all at once. A typical extract batch will easily melt a 7 lb bag of ice from the liquor store.You'll still have to add water, but not as much.

I made it a practice of ignoring the starting volume of water when brewing extract. The first batch I made said 2.0 gallons for a 5 gallon batch and I had a very vigorous boil that gave me a nasty syrup. From then on I started with 3 gallons as a matter of course.
In terms of adding water at the end: I find it's handy to get one of those large "splash proof" funnels and fill it with ice and then let the wort drain into that. Aeration, extra water, and wort cooling all at once. A typical extract batch will easily melt a 7 lb bag of ice from the liquor store.You'll still have to add water, but not as much.

Ooh. Now that sounds like a good idea. I may have to try that.

Latest posts

Back