Keg height difference necessary during closed-loop transfer between two kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyberFox

Reaction score
Here's a scenario:
I have a keg that I fermented in (kegmenter) and a receiving keg that I need to transfer to.
I would like to do a fully closed-loop transfer between the kegs.
Let's say that I have the kegmenter pressurized to 10 psi and the receiving keg to 8 psi.
I attach liquid-to-liquid and gas-to-gas transfer lines between the kegs to start the transfer.

I have two questions:
1)
Will the 2 psi difference between kegs be enough to transfer from one keg to the other if they're both on level ground or will I need to elevate the kegmenter above the receiving keg? If I need to elevate the kegmenter, how much?

2) Does it matter what order I attach the transfer lines (gas or liquid first)?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Elevate the recieving keg so that when it's full, it'll be below the lowest part of the sending keg.

Do you mean that I should elevate the kegmenter so its bottom is above the top of the receiving keg?

I've found the answers to my questions since I last posted.

Sounds like the higher the elevation, the better for the kegmenter. I know that the 2 psi difference between kegs will be enough to transfer if they are at different elevations, but I am going to have both of them at equal pressure and exhaust the receiving keg a little to start the transfer instead.

I have also learned that it is recommended for the liquid transfer line to be connected before the gas transfer line.

I've found the answers to my questions since I last posted.

Sounds like the higher the elevation, the better for the kegmenter. I know that the 2 psi difference between kegs will be enough to transfer if they are at different elevations, but I am going to have both of them at equal pressure and exhaust the receiving keg a little to start the transfer instead.

I have also learned that it is recommended for the liquid transfer line to be connected before the gas transfer line.
If you encounter co2 breakout enough that it stops your xfer (it can happen under perfect conditions), pinch the gas to gas line and pull the prv on the receiving keg to bump start the xfer. It will save you from uncoupling the gas jumper and introducing oxygen. Prost!

The pressure differential will completely negate the need for gravity siphoning. Keep the pressure on the source keg, and keep the PRV open on the receiving keg, smooth sailing.

The pressure differential will completely negate the need for gravity siphoning. Keep the pressure on the source keg, and keep the PRV open on the receiving keg, smooth sailing.
That's good advice, but I was planning to do a true closed-loop transfer so that the hop aroma is not exhausted into the open air, thus reducing the aroma in my beer. I have no clue if this actually happens or not, but some swear that it does. 🤷‍♂️

That's good advice, but I was planning to do a true closed-loop transfer so that the hop aroma is not exhausted into the open air, thus reducing the aroma in my beer. I have no clue if this actually happens or not, but some swear that it does. 🤷‍♂️
In that case, you'll need a spunding valve on the receiving keg. Set the pressure to 1 PSI below the source keg. It's gonna take some time to transfer, but it's great insurance that you're not disturbing your volatile aromas. This is an even better option if you're already pressure fermenting.

Didn't I answer this in another thread already?
Closed will work fine, no need to spund, no need for supplemental CO2.
Yeah, I posted here first and realized that this thread better belongs in the Bottling/kegging section. I also wasn't going to ignore anyone commenting on this thread.

Back