Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswillbrewforbeer

Reaction score
English Dark Mild fermented with a re-pitch of Wyeast 1099. Pitched at 64F, ramped to 70F over a few days. Cold crashed 1 day after 2.5 weeks in primary. Tasted it last night and it was clean, a bit bland actually. Racked to keg today, haven't tried it yet. I saw the white scuzz on the surface and don't remember ever seeing it before. Thoughts? Let me know if any more info is needed. This is the only picture I have:
20200530_114905.jpg

Update: Just kegged it and it tastes fine, at least for now. I did a stepped starter with yeast harvested from a previous batch. The first starter took 48 hours to start IIRC, I know it took forever.

Well that sucks. Thanks for the info, though! I think it's a good possibility the initial starter starter was the source of the unwanted microbes since it took so long to start though it could have come from anywhere. I think I'll chuck everything plastic that came in contact with the beer and boil everything else.

Back