Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbrobertson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, another infection thread. Sorry, but you how parental one can be over a 5 gallon living carboy of nature's goodness. Boiled 9/2. Cooled w/ wort chiller that was both sprayed with sanitizer and put in boil 10 min's before flame out. Was warm day and could only cool to 80 degrees so I followed the Aussie's and let cool in basement overnight to 76 when I pitched 2 packs of dry yeast the next morning. Racked from bucket on 9/15. First noticed this white foam 3 days ago. It is 50% bigger now. Tonight when I tried to get a better look I probably roused the yeast a bit. Shining a flashlight through I see small bubbles steadily rising, there was airlock activity but didn't take the time to observe airlock before I moved the carboy around. The foam is only on the surface, no strings or such hanging. No pronounced bad smell. Also very thick trub layer since this wasn't my primary, don't you think? Was going to bottle tomorrow afternoon.
My thinking is if still airlock activity tomorrow w/o rousing then observe longer. If no, then check gravity and likely bottle. Reassurance welcome; a more bitter pill if needed.
PS no temp changes and I do not want to risk checking gravity while there's still airlock activity lest I introduce a currently non existent infection.
No sure why I can't post the pics. Gonna submit this text and mess with it some.

Still fitzing, 2 more to post.

photo 1.JPG

It could be an infection. It could be CO2 gassing out. What kind of beer is it? What yeast did you use?

It looks like yeast activity or just CO2 coming out of suspension. You didn't happen to have a weather event yesterday?

Search this site for "Baron Von Beightol's Oktoberfest" for details but I used S-23, 2 packs straight to wort, not rehydrated.
OG was 1.054
gravity now at 1.014.
I can think of nothing but infection but it smells and tastes OK; as much as flat warm ale can.

You may risk an infection but try some! Sani up a thief or turkey baster and take a little sip. That's the best way to tell.

Bottled. Tasted & smelled fine. White film stuck to side of carboy. Would have loved to be able to get sample to better examine. I think will be OK. Put boxes in large yard bags in case of bottle bombs (Murphy's law).

Back