Infection? Yeast? Sugar? What's the problem here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaureywwc

Reaction score
Worried about my stout batch. I have an interesting yellow (for lack for better word) "gunk" in every single one of my bottles. Could it possibly be left over sugars (corn sugar) that wasn't full ingested by the yeasts? The beer itself is tastes great, no off flavors, great carbonation for a stout, and overall happy with it, but I'm a little worried about what I am seeing?

I have pictures I can post if it will help identify the issue. I've never had a batch do this, and I'm not really worried about infection because it's far to consistent between each bottle, and my sterilization process is pretty thorough.

Another thing I have noticed is in the bottom of my glass, after a pour and a quick drink. There will be spots that resemble mold, or oil on water on the bottom of my glass.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Pics would be good, just to get an idea of what you're talking about. Is the yellow gunk at the top or bottom of the bottle? Either way, if the beer tastes ok I'd imagine it's probably yeast, either as a krausen ring at the top or just trub at the bottom. I don't know why you wouldn't have seen it before, but maybe it's more apparent with the dark stout? As for the spots, if you've got yeast trub/krausen in the bottle, it will come out clumpy, and the dark malts in stouts has a bit of oily residue in it that is probably being left behind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

As long as your beer tastes good I don't think you have anything to worry about. I know you prob wonder why and want an answer, but it's definitely not an infection!

I would be a little confused about the trub ending up exactly the same in every bottle. I was fairly careful about making sure trub wouldn't end up in the bottle bucket let alone from the bottling bucket. But mistakes do happen.

thumb2_img_00841-62500.jpg

thumb2_img_00801-62499.jpg

thumb2_img_00791-62498.jpg

Here are the images, they are all fairly explanatory I think. Thanks again, guys.

Yeah, I'd say that's definitely yeast. You probably siphon just fine, but being a darker beer you probably just couldn't see the yeast still in suspension, which then settled out in the bottle. How long did you leave the beer to ferment? If you want to avoid it, you can either leave it in primary/secondary for an extra week to settle out more yeast, or if you have the capability you can cold crash the fermenter for a few days and really knock the yeast out of suspension. Otherwise, just plan on standing your bottles upright and that yeast will settle into a fairly tight clump at the bottom, which with a careful pour, a little practice, and leaving a half inch of beer behind, you can pretty much avoid.

Yeah, I'd say that's definitely yeast. You probably siphon just fine, but being a darker beer you probably just couldn't see the yeast still in suspension, which then settled out in the bottle. How long did you leave the beer to ferment? If you want to avoid it, you can either leave it in primary/secondary for an extra week to settle out more yeast, or if you have the capability you can cold crash the fermenter for a few days and really knock the yeast out of suspension. Otherwise, just plan on standing your bottles upright and that yeast will settle into a fairly tight clump at the bottom, which with a careful pour, a little practice, and leaving a half inch of beer behind, you can pretty much avoid.

3 weeks for Primary (exactly 7 days after hydrometer readings) 3 weeks into secondary (just my average) and then 3 weeks in bottle.

Yes, it is yeast. Thanks for the help everyone. Never had yeast jump back up like this. This strain was a very vigorous, and it should not surprise me it would do this after bottling. I'll have to avoid this strain I think next time. I ironically lost 1 gallon from blowover on my 6.5 gallon batch in a 8 gallon ferm bucket which from what I understand should NEVER happen. Thanks everyone.

Back